Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Trunk-style bike racks have an excellent reputation for causing paint damage.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
3,822 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Trunk-style bike racks have an excellent reputation for causing paint damage.
I will never consider or recommend such carriers for this exact reason. Not worth it.

Depending on what type of cargo box you are using, you can often fit one or two bikes on the roof with the cargo box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's a roofbag not cargo box that I will either strap through the car (have done for years camping though is very annoying) or buy $40 hooks I just saw (should of look for them a ~10 years ago...) they sell to strap it to the door frame.

My pilot doesn't have side roof rails and I'm not sure I want to spend the money to add them right now (already dropped a pretty penny getting the pilot ready to drive on the beach plus plus the hitch cargo carrier) and I would still need the roof rack and a roof box/bike rack

I emailed allen and thule and it seems like trunk racks for SUV's in general are a no go (makes sense) so my options are likely limited. I bought enough straps and think I might be able to load the hitch carrier light enough (beach trips are easier to pack for than winter camping) that I might be able to just lay the kids bikes on top of the weather bag and strap them down.

I also found the CURT Dual Receiver Trailer Hitch on amazon and am wondering if the cargo hitch carrier could go in bottom and a hitch bike rack in top..seems like it might make the cardo carrier all but pointless though

·
Registered
445 Posts
It's a roofbag not cargo box that I will either strap through the car...

My pilot doesn't have side roof rails and I'm not sure I want to spend the money to add them right now...

I might be able to just lay the kids bikes on top of the weather bag and strap them down.
For relatively inexpensive kid's bikes, given that you don't want to invest in a complete rooftop system, this has a reasonable chance of success.

Buying cheap bike racks is a waste of money. Either getting a rock-solid system, or do it like you're proposing.

If this is a regular thing for you, it's pretty easy to buy Yakima or Thule components on Craigslist. They last forever, and you should be able to find most of what you need for about half the new price. Using a cargo box just once will make you wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
15,886 Posts
I have to agree based on my experience that a hitch mount is the way to go. Hitches can be bought and DIY installed. A cheap alternative is probably a U haul hitch.

Bike racks come in many styles, capacity and prices. Its got to work for you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had both trunk and hitch bike racks. Those trunk racks can be pretty sturdy but you'll always have that nagging feeling that a strap will come loose while you're driving. There is no way you will be able to access the trunk with it on (unless you undo some straps). Also in the long term you will find little chips in your paint caused from the metal strap clips.

If you get a hitch rack like this: Premier Locking Hitch Bike Rack for Spare Tire Vehicles or this Deluxe Hitch Bike Rack
You can get in the trunk with it on. I have the Premier one and it works great.

Last year I purchased a roofbag to use with our Ford Escape that had a roof rack. It worked pretty well. Best part is that it can be easily stored when not in use. My Pilot does not have a roof rack and I don't think I will use it with that car. Personally I don't trust it as there's nothing physically blocking the roofback from sliding to the back of the roof and either messing up the paint or losing the cargo.

If you are looking to get extra cargo and bikes, maybe look at something like this:
or this
Those options are pricey but there's no doubt less expensive options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts