Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the Pilot/MDX's true tow capacity is? What do you think it's limiting factor is? My old Exploder could tow 5700lbs. The main differences are the full frame and front vs. rear wheel drive. The Pilot appears to have more HP/TQ, equal or better brakes, better width and decent subframes and suspension bits. The Jeep GC is unibody and it can tow 5700 lbs. Does it come down to the front wheel drive?:confused:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Rating details...

Honda states simply the weight of the trailer, and specifies a higher weight for boats. This would imply that DRAG is the limiting factor, and that drag would be taxing the engine & transmission more than anything else.

I suspect that the chassis/unibody is actaully not very stressed at all. As you said, the Jeep GC is similar in construction. Even the output of the engine (in some configurations) is similar.

Honda DID have problems with the 99 Ody trans, and they subsequently invesatigated the failures and beefed up components and went with the 5 speed atuo over the 4 speed --- I'd guess that the trans is still the limiting factor to the towing capacity.

Folks who tow ALOT pretty much accept that transmissions will need extra cooling, extra servicing and STILL get shorter lifespan-- while folks who PRIMARILY use their vehicel for people hauling generally won't accept this... Honda is probably going after the second group, not the first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts