Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
One other possibility if losing fuel pressure quickly after turn off is at the fuel pump assembly. Usually there is a check valve on the assembly that the pump pumps through to hold the pressure at the other end for the prime and no flow condition . Those fail too.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,534 Posts
Just for fun check the positioning of the neutral safety switch or as Honda likes to call it the Transmission range switch. If memory serves me correctly, there is a little play in the mounting slots to adjust the switch position.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
306 Posts
Wow, useful thread. Over the last month, my 2004 EX (115,000 mi) has become hard to start after a short drive/when warm. Every morning it starts perfectly. The first couple of times it wouldn't start, it smelled flooded, and sure enough, 15 minutes later it would start. But last couple of times, even several hours later it wouldn't start. Took it to my crack mechanic and he did pretty much everything described above and in another thread here, except the ECR clean-out. He went above and beyond as much as he could during the day to try to catch it when it would fail. Frustrated, he came in on Sunday and concentrated on this issue, and it obliged. He identified a problem in the fuel injection control relay (OEM price about $98) and replaced it. It's running fine now. He cautions that it's hard to say if it's truly fixed, but for those of you with the same issues, it's a place to start.
Have you experienced any more starting issues since you replaced this relay?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
306 Posts
For anyone wanting a followup to this issue, I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and the EGR valve a few weeks ago, and ran a bottle of Techron through the tank. I haven't experienced the long crank problem since then, even with temps above 90 most days recently. I also took a 800-mile road trip a few days ago and got 22.1 mpg on the exact same 250-mile part of the trip that I got 20.2 mpg and 19.9 mpg on previous trips a month earlier. So a 10% increase in gas mileage and no more starting problems. Not sure which one of the 3 things is solely responsible, or if they all helped, but at least it's positive progress.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts