Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 9 month old 14.7K miles 19 Touring. Out of the blue about 2 weeks ago after having used the Pilot both weekend days, on Monday when my wife went to work she noticed a slight odor in the Pilot. It almost smelled like cooked broccoli or cauliflower. It continued to get worse over the next few days and by Wednesday of that week I had a couple different friends take a sniff to see what they thought is might be. They were unanimous that they thought it was a dead mouse. So on Thursday I called the Honda dealer and scheduled a service for that Saturday, regular service, O/C, cabin and air filter replacement and they would look for signs of a dead animal or mice in the car. Long story short they found nothing. The S/A advised me they thought the smell was originating from the rear cargo area and asked us if we had spilled something there on the carpet by any chance. We stated we had not. He advised we could spend a fortune do exploration and he suggested we put baking soda in the car to try and absorb the smell. So we left and got a couple different products to put in the back of the car that are supposed to absorb odors. A week later and the smell is still pretty awful. So today I spent some time trying to isolate the location and source of the smell. It seemed like it was coming from behind the cover over the car jack. I tried getting that panel off and couldn't so finding instructions here on Piloteers I took the rear seats and cargo panels out and removed the rear driver side rear quarter inside body panel thinking that the smell was coming from behind that. After I got the panel off I realized that the smell was strongest in the frame to the left of the tailgate. Problem is the holes in that frame piece are the size of a quarter at most and looking in I can't see anything and sticking my fingers in can't feel anything. So I called the dealer back today and they are going to try and look down there with a scope on Monday. Anyone ever hear of such a problem locating a horrid smell in a Pilot body panel? We are getting very frustrated. Otherwise we have loved our Pilot experience having taken it on a thousand mile trip and a two thousand mile trip. IMG_5010.JPG IMG_5011.JPG

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dead mice / rats can really stink up a building, especially a car.

A couple of years ago, we had a rat make a nest in the engine compartment of our previous Accord, near the firewall.

Had no odors, but the rat started eating wiring under the hood (car parked in the garage).

Took the car to our dealer (extended warranty) due to transmission hesitation. They found the wiring harness chewed, along with other plastic parts. Dealer said to call our insurance company.

Insurance covered 100% of the $3,500+ repair. Caught the rat the next day with a garage trap.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
My wife left a pack of raw chicken in our son's SUV a few years ago.

Four days, in summer, in Florida...

It fell out of the plastic shopping bag and she didn't notice.

The stench was horrid. I tired every odor-rid product and home remedy I could find and nothing worked.

A professional detailer was able to remove the smell after doing a full detail. So, you may need to do something similar even if the cause is found and removed.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Forgotten fish smell....that was my brother's worst ever.

Every Car has an air vent exhausting air from inside the car. I don't know where the Pilots is but commonly they are hidden behind the bumper cover. I'm thinking some animal chewed through the vent to gain access to you car and died.
since it's a weekend, grab an aerosol of lysol and spray inside the holes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer found the dead mouse in the driver side "D Pillar" with their scope camera. They pulled it out and vacuumed the nest out. Said they didn't think it did that much damage, not enough to be concerned with anyway. They charged me one hour labor $125. The smell on the ride home from the dealer was noticeably diminished from before. All the trim and seats went back together without too much trouble, but believe it or not putting in the last bolt for the 3rd row seat pad the bolt snapped. Now another ordeal to deal with. Thank you to all for your input. This was quite a frustrating situation.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
All the trim and seats went back together without too much trouble, but believe it or not putting in the last bolt for the 3rd row seat pad the bolt snapped. Now another ordeal to deal with. Thank you to all for your input. This was quite a frustrating situation.
Did the dealer break the bolt? If so, they should be resolving the issue.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Haven't tried Ozone generator but might get one some day.

If you can access where that was in the pillar with the small holes, go to pet store, get Nature's Miracle and spray/pour a bunch in there. The enzymes break down any organic material and make smells go away(like a mini cesspool). It worked for me on vomit, blood, baby formula, chocolate shake that spilled and got under door trim and through clip "holes" and probably the 2 worst, cat urine and also water that leaked out from black plastic garbage bag with grass clippings sitting in the sun for a week.

Pour / spray it in and let dry naturally. If you can try to get something that sprays to sides like this https://www.kbs-coatings.com/Cavity-Wand-36.html so you can make sure it gets the sides of the inside of pillar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the dealer break the bolt? If so, they should be resolving the issue.
We broke the bolt. We took the whole back of the car apart, took it to them and we drove home and put it all back together. Last bolt going in broke...doh!!! It's on me so I will take one of the other seat bolts out, go to dealer and get a new one for the other side that broke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts