Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my starter replaced (2nd time, 104k) and I noticed something odd.

My trip odometer had 1100 miles on it and it said that my avg was 8mpg. I had just driven back from Montana and previously saw that my avg was more like 19mpg. The shop only recorded 2 miles on it (diff between when I picked up and dropped off). Could disconnecting battery have confused the trip od? What could they have done under 2 miles to lower my avg of over 1000 miles from 19mpg to 8?

Basically 1- 1200 miles the avg mph was 19.
1-1202 miles (driving 2 additional miles) my avg mph fell to 8.

If the engine was idling how long would that have to take?

My pilot was towed with a dolly but engine was dead/off so I don't see how that could have affected it.

-Markus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, they just called and said they forgot to put the dipstick back in. Do you need to take the dipstick out to replace the starter? Space issue?

·
Registered
556 Posts
What shop doesn't replace the dipstick? Did they change the oil for you also? Not sure why that would be touched for the starter.

In regards to the mpg, no idea how long the car would have to idle for the average to drop like that. It probably did reset and then they probably ran it a little. At any rate, you will probably never know.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
There are a few things which need to be removed on a 2005 (guessing 2nd gen is similar) but the dipstick wasn’t one of them. Battery, battery tray, and plastic battery housing are the things I recall having to remove.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
And I wouldn’t worry about the mpg average. If you do the math they would have burned through ~80 gallons of gas during those two miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts