Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the plastic body trim in march, I treated it with cquartz dlux and was really pleased. Perhaps I'm overly concerned about it looking like one of the avalanches so I decided to try cerakote trim coat this time. It came with multiple small packets and gloves. It was able to cover the whole pilot along with most of the engine bay, cross bar brackets and my other car. There still three packets left.

Make sure to use in the shade (I did partial) as streaks started which I was able to correct.

Keep the sheet folded small. I opened it up trying to cover more area faster and the product started to cure in the sheet.

Overall I was happy. Nice shine and has stayed clean after some soft roading.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good, just need patience while applying. Also out of sunlight. With the specialty coatings, there a block sponge that is wrapped with a small cloth for even application. Whither the cerakote packets, that's not the case, as a result, hand/finger pressure can cause the application to be thicker or thinner depending on the pressure which caused me to have to go back over in certain areas. If you have patience and a well lit garage, itll turn out nice.

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
Post some pics of the finished product!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I have been looking for something to spruce up the black plastic trim other than stuff that just attracts dust and doesn't last. Yes, please post some pics

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Itl would look normal with pics because the whole bottom is done. I should've done half then taken pics. Apex detail on YouTube did a review. Theres plenty others as well. All I have to do now is wash. It's a waste of vinyl/plastic care products wiping them down routinely.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Itl would look normal with pics because the whole bottom is done. I should've done half then taken pics. Apex detail on YouTube did a review. Theres plenty others as well. All I have to do now is wash. It's a waste of vinyl/plastic care products wiping them down routinely.
Was this the stuff you used?
Product Liquid Text Colorfulness Orange

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Some reviews say the instructions require the use of Car Pro Erasure before applying the DLUX but none is included in the kit. Another reviewer said it left marks if not buffed off right away. True?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used dlux when I initially got the car. It goes on evenly and several coats adds a nice shine. It also can be used on rims and some interior pieces.
I used cerakote this time Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit

Doesnt apply as evenly but is thicker and has a higher gloss. Its 20 bucks and will probably last a year at least. As opposed to a $10 bortle that lasts a couple months and you have to keep recoating

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I used dlux when I initially got the car. It goes on evenly and several coats adds a nice shine. It also can be used on rims and some interior pieces.
I used cerakote this time Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat Kit

Doesnt apply as evenly but is thicker and has a higher gloss. Its 20 bucks and will probably last a year at least. As opposed to a $10 bortle that lasts a couple months and you have to keep recoating
There's a finish/paint by the same name I used on some of my guns What Cerakote Is And Why It's Good For Your Gun | Gun Belts Blog and it holds up very well. Maybe the same company? It's not wiped on but sprayed more like paint.

Which do you prefer? The Dlux or Cerekote? Have you tried it on the dash? I find shiney coatings on the dash distracting.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is the same company. This product just doesnt require all the prep work. This is semi permanent possibly get a year out of it. Probably more if garaged.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it gets wet or humid, It can happen. My engine bay wasnt fully dry when I wiped it down. A small section got water with the coating and was a bit hazy. Buffed it out and recoated. Make sure everything is dry

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
Sorry to interrupt....

Can anyone help me with something to get wax off the black plastic trim???

Someone told me a pencil eraser works.
Someone else recommended Chemical Brothers stuff but when I looked it up all the reviews puked on it.

Links to Amazon would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and sorry to derail.

SUMITOMO!!!!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Sorry to interrupt....

Can anyone help me with something to get wax off the black plastic trim???

Someone told me a pencil eraser works.
Someone else recommended Chemical Brothers stuff but when I looked it up all the reviews puked on it.

Links to Amazon would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance and sorry to derail.

SUMITOMO!!!!
Prepsol, made by 3M. Check with good body shops. They might give you some. It removes wax, safe on plastics and painted surfaces and will remove silicone. No abrasives. It takes everything off that would fisheye a paint job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts