Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the best stuff that I have ever seen to remove tree sap from Pine Trees. We were camping 3 weeks ago and had sap on the hood of the Pilot, we (I) tried wax and grease remover and variety of other things to no avail. I took the Pilot in for its first oil change to the dealership where I bought it and pointed it out, they told me to drive it over to the detailers when I was ready to leave and they would be happy to remove it for me. This guy brings out this stuff in a red aerosol can, I believe it was called Xenit (my memory is terrible, but I will double check on this this week since I will bring in my truck to have some more sap removed from its hood as well), he sprays the area and wipes a few times and the sap was gone, I have never seen anything cut through sap like that. Great stuff!!! :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
With all due respect, I'd be careful having stuff sprayed on my Pilot without knowing what it is. You never know what it can do to your clear coat or paint finish . . . even when applied by "a professional." I've seen some detailing "pros" use gasoline to remove street tar!

The product I use to remove tree sap, tar, bugs, etc. is Zaino's clay bar. It works great without the use of abrasives or strong chemicals.

ammdaddy

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a serious sap problem on my non-Pilot. I was trying everything I could think of without resorting to harsh chemicals. Well, after stopping at a detail shop and having them tell me I need to come back when a certain person was there, I finally found a solution on another online forum (one dedicated to detailing .... rightlook.com might be the place). A detailer there said rubbing alcohol was the fix. Sure enough, it works! And rubbing alcohol is certainly safe for both you and the car. Many of my spots came off right away, some required a bit of elbow grease, but it does work.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Qbrozen said:
I had a serious sap problem on my non-Pilot. I was trying everything I could think of without resorting to harsh chemicals. Well, after stopping at a detail shop and having them tell me I need to come back when a certain person was there, I finally found a solution on another online forum (one dedicated to detailing .... rightlook.com might be the place). A detailer there said rubbing alcohol was the fix. Sure enough, it works! And rubbing alcohol is certainly safe for both you and the car. Many of my spots came off right away, some required a bit of elbow grease, but it does work.
Rubbing alcohol will take the silver trim paint right off the console pieces, however. I discovered this last year after an episode where paint started sluffing off after I'd driven a short while with sunscreen on, and rubbed against the console.:(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Be sure to read www.autopia-carcare.com's section on using clay. It states that clay is great for removing tree sap, tar, bugs, etc. from your car's finish.

So, why use a solvent or petroleum product when you really don't need to? Your car and the environment will be happier with clay! And it doesn't take any extra effort, either.

my 2 cents,

ammdaddy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts