Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing well. Long story short my mechanic just told me that my 07 4wd 149k pilot is leaking AFT fluid and he also said that to stop the leakage he has to remove the transmission and replace some seals. My question is if the transmission is removed does the entire AFT fluid & transfer case gear oil has to be removed as well? Please excuse my ignorance! I read that flushing the transmission fluid could be dangerous. My only concern about this is that the transmission fluid was never changed by the original owner for 130k miles, in fact the ATF fluid was quite low and dark when I bought it off him I added about 3 qts of new fluid to bring it to the correct level. My mechanic is not concern and told me that the transmission runs great and i shouldn't worry if we flush the ATF fluid and add new one. My pilot drives very well no transmission issues at all. The leak is not mayor but it's visible and coming out between the back of the engine and the transmission. Again I read and saw multiples videos on Youtube where some say don't flush the transmission fluid because it could create problems how true this is???? Have anyone experienced something similar? Thank you in advance.

Best,
Alex.

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
What Honda defines as an ATF "flush" is to drain and refill the ATF four times in a row, with cycling of the transmission through all the gears (or some driving) in between each drain and refill.

Before removing the transmission, you might want to consider using an ATF that is designed to help prevent leaks and see if that solves your problem.
Here is one such product with which some Piloteers report having a good experience:
MaxLife™ Multi-Vehicle ATF : Product Catalog - Valvoline™

·
Registered
438 Posts
In this case since the mechanic is pulling the transmission, much of the fluid may end up getting drained in the process. If you go down that route, I wouldn't worry about the amount of fluid replaced.

There are very mixed opinions out there on whether or not you should try a stop leak product. You can find it "works great" and it "ruined my transmission", pick you poison.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
Before removing the transmission, you might want to consider using an ATF that is designed to help prevent leaks and see if that solves your problem.
Here is one such product with which some Piloteers report having a good experience:
With still 74 days to go, it's a Christmas miracle. Ebenezer xGS has had a change of heart and recommends Valvoline MaxLife ATF!

The leak is not mayor but it's visible and coming out between the back of the engine and the transmission.

If it's not major, ATP AT-205 Re-seal will most assuredly cure it. It's been very hard to find recently, either due to it's mushrooming popularity because it actually works, or supply chain woes, or both, but try NAPA or Autozone online. You've got nothing to lose except for 12 bucks.

Otherwise, yes, try 3 or 4 ATF drain & fills with MaxLife ATF, perhaps combined with a second-choice dose of Lucas.

But do make the effort to find the AT-205. It's worth the effort.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
The Valvoline MaxLife ATF is all I’d do for now and see if it works. If the leak is manageable I wouldn’t sweat a small leak.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
VML is my XMAS 🎄 miracle for racks that use Dexron
Don’t try it on a Honda, but I’ve put VML in a Toyota, Hyundai and Nissan as power steering fluid where Dexron is called for. 😁

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD, rack, boards, hitch 2007 EX-L AWD Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V EX-L AWD, rack
150 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
What Honda defines as an ATF "flush" is to drain and refill the ATF four times in a row, with cycling of the transmission through all the gears (or some driving) in between each drain and refill.

Sleeve Tree Vest Font Sleeveless shirt

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,251 Posts
If your mechanic ends up pulling the transmission you might as well replace the filter while he’s in there.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
A
If your mechanic ends up pulling the transmission you might as well replace the filter while he’s in there.
Although that sounds like a really good idea, it requires opening the transmission to get to, thanks to some brilliant Honda engineering.
Font Automotive exterior Midnight Darkness Auto part

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD, rack, boards, hitch 2007 EX-L AWD Navi, rack, boards, hitch 2016 CR-V EX-L AWD, rack
150 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,251 Posts
A

Although that sounds like a really good idea, it requires opening the transmission to get to, thanks to some brilliant Honda engineering.
View attachment 153693
How deeply buried is it in the tranny? That’s messed up if it’s not under a single access panel.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts