Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Pilot, picked up 10 days ago. Seems to me it's shifting more than it should. When in cruise control at 75, it shifts down on every little rise or hill. Is this normal or should I go back to my dealer? Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ours does the same thing. Its because it is a 5-speed automatic, is why it does this, plus the FUZZY logic contributes as well...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 5 speed? Aha! I just found that in the fine print in the brochure. There are only 4 speeds on the selector, which threw me off. I guess the 5th speed is an overdrive, so shifting down to 4th makes more sense. Is there a way to lock out the overdrive?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Nope

there's no OD lockout - a complaint voiced by a number of members.

Welcome and be sure to post your VIN on the VIN table thread.

*** EDITS BY KEMOSABE ***

My first Moderating task... :p

Here is the link for the VIN table: click here :)

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
rlburns0211 said:
It's a 5 speed? Aha! I just found that in the fine print in the brochure. There are only 4 speeds on the selector, which threw me off. I guess the 5th speed is an overdrive, so shifting down to 4th makes more sense. Is there a way to lock out the overdrive?
The first "shift" you feel is the torque converter unlocking.
This is normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My new Pilot does the same thing. I live in Florida and thank god it is relatively flat. When I have the cruise set at 72 and get to a bridge on the freeway the little bit of incline makes it downshift to keep up the speed. I read the other replies that people have made but I may ask to see the service rep from Honda because they need to reprogram the shift logic or something because it really annoying, besides who wants to run in D3 on the freeway. I also noticed the same thing around 42 to 45 mph range doesn't know wheteher it should upshift or stay where it is at. My old Dodge Durango is looking better all the time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm Curious.....

My transmission shifts so smoothly, that I haven't noticed anything abnormal.

I have a question for those of you lodging complaints. If you haven't ever owned/driven a vehicle with a 5-speed auto, could it be that you're just not used to the extra gear, which is specifically designed for fuel economy on straight-flat highways.

·
Registered
163 Posts
xxldog said:
My new Pilot does the same thing. I live in Florida and thank god it is relatively flat. When I have the cruise set at 72 and get to a bridge on the freeway the little bit of incline makes it downshift to keep up the speed. I read the other replies that people have made but I may ask to see the service rep from Honda because they need to reprogram the shift logic or something because it really annoying, besides who wants to run in D3 on the freeway. I also noticed the same thing around 42 to 45 mph range doesn't know wheteher it should upshift or stay where it is at. My old Dodge Durango is looking better all the time.
My Pilot also has the same problem. Shift does not change on a flat road around 40-45 mph (2000 rpm). Shift changes when I release gas and apply again. Strange!!! I had similar problem with my 97 Accord and dealer flushed the tranny fluid completely ($109 service). Now Accord is running smoooth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took it back right after I got it to have hitch put on and told dealer of trans problem. They told me to drive it to the first oil change and let them know if it is any better. Hows that for a technical reply to a problem. I hate the hesitation and tranny not knowing whether it should go up or down at 42 to 45 mph. Now I've noticed on a slightly heavy brake the trans does a couple of downshift. Drove a new Envoy the last couple of weeks and that trans is smooth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Strange behavior at 40-45 mph

We have a lot of streets and expressways here in San Jose where the speed limits are 40 and 45 mph. I noticed the hesitation and slight surging at those same speeds and have just been ignoring them. On the heavy braking, I think the downshifting is a "feechur" of the Grade Logic in the tranny, which for me is really useful when going down long, gentle hills. I find the shift lever awkward to operate compared to a console shifter, and manually shifting to D3 on downgrades is a pain. The Grade Logic feature generally takes care of it. I wish I knew how to reliably get it to downshift, though.:confused:

- shutrbug

·
Registered
168 Posts
Shutrbug,

There is a method to madness of down and up shifting the Pilot. When you drove off the lot, there should have been a tag hanging from the gear shifter that showed the "steps". What I mean is that if you just pull to you and pull down you have probably found yourself going to far. There is a "step" down so that if you pull down while pulling out, it will drop down to third with out going further. I hope this helps, if not, go look at the tag hanging on a new one.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I remember seeing something like that when I picked up my Pilot, although I must not have read it.:rolleyes: I'll try your suggestion or RTFM (Read The **** Manual). ;)

Thanks,
shutrbug

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
shutrbug said:
I remember seeing something like that when I picked up my Pilot, although I must not have read it.:rolleyes: I'll try your suggestion or RTFM (Read The **** Manual). ;)

Thanks,
shutrbug
Take a look at this thread for some good info on shifting.

HTH

:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
colorider said:

Take a look at this thread for some good info on shifting.

HTH

:)
Colorider,

Thanks. The post by N_Jay was very useful. I tried it and it works great. Now if I can just remember it when I'm busy driving...;)

- shutrbug

·
Registered
163 Posts
Transmission problem

I have been experiencing this problem for several months. When I drive over flat surface at 40-45 mph speed, shift stays forever with a loud engine noise and over 2000 rpm. In order for it to change to the next shift (or gear) I release gas and press it again and speedometer crosses 45 mph and rpm comes down to 1500. Is this normal?

I had already reported here earlier and would like to know from you all.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
are they selling bottled water or gas.....(at $2.41)

:2: :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mountain out of a mole hill

I have not seen any problems in the 40-45 mph range. No question with the cruise set to 65 mph or above the Pilot will drop down a gear on even the slightest grades. I was concerned about it but once I decided the Pilot was maintaining the speed I wanted and given how quiet the engine is it is not a problem. That is how it is designed to work. Interestingly, drving at those speeds without cruise control I seem to be able to keep the overdrive locked up and it downshifts less. I doubt it contributes more than one tenth of a MPG but it does point out the cruise/tranny are tuned to agressively seek to maintain the speed you select (a good thing in my mind) especially from a safety standpoint.

I hope that guy with Durango/Envoy dreams does buy one. They may not shift at highway speed but both are a heck of lot more likely to need a new tranny (probably more than one) before my Pilot will.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts