Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 Pilot EX with 276,000 miles, on second transmission, Is the 3500 rpm rev normal before Gear shift? Hard gear shift when cold, runs alot better once heated. Will a transmission service be appropriate for smoother gear shifts?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
07 Pilot EX with 276,000 miles, on second transmission, Is the 3500 rpm rev normal before Gear shift? Hard gear shift when cold, runs alot better once heated. Will a transmission service be appropriate for smoother gear shifts?
What kind of transmission fluid do you use? When was it changed last?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hav’nt changed it since putting in 2nd Transmission, been about 22,000 miles on 2nd Transmission

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Hav’nt changed it since putting in 2nd Transmission, been about 22,000 miles on 2nd Transmission
It probably has factory non full synthetic ATF in it. From my personal experiences, I recommend using Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF in Honda 5-speeds. It's about $18 a gallon at Wal-Mart. I'd plan for 3 drain and fills. After the first, drive a few miles warming the engine and transmission up to operating temperature, then do the 2nd. After a week or so, or a few drive cycles (no rule), I'd do the 3rd. It should fix it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Hey Nail, you missed one. Seems to have flown right under your radar. :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe it is normal to hold first gear to 3500 rpm when cold. Mine does this and I believe it is the way they designed it. I just take it easy until it warms up, then it starts shifting earlier.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Hey Nail, you missed one. Seems to have flown right under your radar. :p

@Nail Grease was either snoozing or just teasing the keyboard Piloteer jocks to jump in first.
If you check, I apparantly posted ahead of yours by a second or 2.
💪😁

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
287 Posts
it is normal for any engine to rev slightly higher when it's cold before downshifting. I've noticed the shifts in my Pilot are extremely sensitive to the pedal position and lightening up just a tad will cause it to shift sooner through slower acceleration. also there are other fluids available besides maxlife such as though specified for honda transmissions.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I see that none of the usual suspects will directly answer your key question. Is 3500 RPM normal before the transmission shifts? In a word, no. If you are starting up from park, and you shift into drive, the transmission should engage almost immediately. This means that first gear should engage when the engine is at a high idle, or somewhere around 1000 RPM. If you are driving on a level road, then the normal gear shifting sequence for each gear should occur well before the engine reaches 3500 RPM. If your Honda will only shift at high RPM, this clearly indicates that the internal hydraulic circuits, especially the valve body circuits inside the transmission are either leaking pressure, due to internal seal failure, or the clutch pack piston seals are worn to the point of failure. Short of a transmission replacement, you can try to improve the internal seal function by using a seal conditioner. This is a last ditch method, which may help for a while to stave off total failure of the transmission. Or maybe not. In any case, if you have not yet done the 3X drain and fill regimen on your Pilot, then please start there. Use Valvoline Maxlife synthetic transmission fluid, as it already has seal conditioners blended in. Drain your trans fluid and refill, three times. Take a short drive in between each drain and fill. It will require about 3 and a half quarts each time. If your transmission shift points are still up in the 3500 RPM range, then go ahead and pour some in Nuclear Reactor Juice In other words, add some AT 205. In my opinion, this is the last step before you junk the Pilot. Good Luck! I wish you the best

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I believe it is normal to hold first gear to 3500 rpm when cold. Mine does this and I believe it is the way they designed it. I just take it easy until it warms up, then it starts shifting earlier.
Not

Scott, you should do some Maxlife D&Fs. 3500 rpm shift points are way out of the park.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
It probably has factory non full synthetic ATF in it. From my personal experiences, I recommend using Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF in Honda 5-speeds. It's about $18 a gallon at Wal-Mart. I'd plan for 3 drain and fills. After the first, drive a few miles warming the engine and transmission up to operating temperature, then do the 2nd. After a week or so, or a few drive cycles (no rule), I'd do the 3rd. It should fix it.
Seems to work well in my Honda 6 speed (gen 2, 4WD LX) too! :p:p:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts