Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is a problem or how the vehicle is supposed to handle, but my Pilot does not seem to hold its position even on slight hills. Once forward motion has stopped, the vehicle will start to roll back just like a manual transmission car would with the clutch in.

Is this normal? If so, I will have to go pratice stopping on a few hills and giving it gas quickly after releasing the break so I don't roll into people behind me. ;)

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, my 1989 Jepp Cherokee would not roll back on a small hill....

·
Registered
38 Posts
hmm.. 1989 Jeep Cherokee..

Rear Wheel Drive.. (or possibly full time 4 wheel drive)
Much Lighter in the front end..
Non- OBD II compliant..

different vehicle completely..

Sorry not to get into depth, but your Pilot is a much different vehicle and it all depends on the amount of incline..

If the vehicle has a steady base idle at 750 rpms @ normal operating temperature.. then I wouldnt suspect a problem..

I could get into details about the base idle scenario..but I'm just too damn tired.. :(

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
It's normal. Prior discussions here (I think) and definitely on the MDX board. Honda actually has an official service news note on it for most (if not all) of their current fleet (indicating it's normal). In a nutshell, it has to do with a very-low-resistance tranny design.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
BreakStuff said:

Yes..

A simple fix..

Keep your foot on the brake when on an incline..
Absolutely!!!! Regardless of why the Pilot will roll back, it's just good driving practice to keep your foot on the brake when stopped - especially on any incline! :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TheWorm It's normal. Prior discussions here (I think) and definitely on the MDX board. Honda actually has an official service news note on it for most (if not all) of their current fleet (indicating it's normal). In a nutshell, it has to do with a very-low-resistance tranny design.
Thanks TheWorm for the info. Just trying to learn the differences between the two vehicles and figured somebody here would know an answer.

And yes, I keep my foot on the brake when stopped. I just noticed this when I stopped halfway up my driveway waiting for the mailman to pass by and when I took my foot off the break, started to roll backwards.

·
Registered
115 Posts
BigBarkingDog said:
I am not sure if this is a problem or how the vehicle is supposed to handle, but my Pilot does not seem to hold its position even on slight hills. Once forward motion has stopped, the vehicle will start to roll back just like a manual transmission car would with the clutch in.

Is this normal? If so, I will have to go practice stopping on a few hills and giving it gas quickly after releasing the break so I don't roll into people behind me. ;)

Thanks
Thanks for posting this. I Thought there was something wrong with my Pilot!

I noticed the same thing last weekend. Although I generally do keep my foot on the break, I did let pressure off and noticed that the Pilot was slipping back down the incline. It was not a very steep incline. Luckily the car behind me was far enough away that I caught it with plenty of room to spare.

I have never noticed this with other Auto Transmission vehicles. Never had a Honda before so I do not know if this is typical for their designs. But my Toyota Previa Van and Camry never did this. Nor did any of the other cars I have owned or rented. All of them without exception maintained position on a slight incline from a stop if you let up on the break pedal.

Not a big deal, but it was a big surprise. Felt just like a manual shift car when you engage the clutch without pressing on the break on an incline.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
colorider said:

Absolutely!!!! Regardless of why the Pilot will roll back, it's just good driving practice to keep your foot on the brake when stopped - especially on any incline! :eek:
also when parking (whether on incline or not) always engage the parking brake

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
ramirami said:

Amen!!! I have the hardest time trying to get my husband to do this (he think's it's not necessary). Time to show him this thread.

:4: :4: :4:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
ramirami said:

Ramirami/Ziploc,
This is probably one item that can be argued - depending on the vehicle and the environment. I have had the brake cable freeze and unable to release the emergency brake on some vehicles - after driving in slushy, sub-freezing conditions. Not fun!!

YMMV

·
Registered
241 Posts
Parking Brake

It's a good habit because if you don't exercise them regularly, they becomes fat and won't go, like us.

I found that out in a Legend which cost me a small fortune to repair 'cause both sides froze from lack of use and it would'nt pass inspection so I had to have them replaced.
Different mechanism than the Pilot but still lack of use can cost you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So glad to see this question! I thought I imagined it... it DID feel like a manual transmission car! Annoying, because I've only driven manuals (last 25 years, mostly Saabs, and Audis) and thought automatic was different. I, officially disappointed!
Also, glad to see related comments about parking brake, although I was instructed not to use parking brake for automatic transmission car (don't remember why). I'll definately use it now!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
K Thurston said:
thought automatic was different. I, officially disappointed!
. . . . .
I was instructed not to use parking brake for automatic transmission car (don't remember why). I'll definately use it now!
Why would you think an automatic would not roll backwards?
Seems to me they only did not roll backwards to the extent that they creeped forward (A much worse situation)

I would love to know who instructed you NOT to use the parking brake.:2:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
N_Jay said:

I would love to know who instructed you NOT to use the parking brake.:2:
I also received those instructions from a mechanic when I lived in Wisconsin. Ironically, the reason he gave me was that it would freeze in the engaged position and you would not be able to disengage it.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
florida_guy said:

I also received those instructions from a mechanic when I lived in Wisconsin. Ironically, the reason he gave me was that it would freeze in the engaged position and you would not be able to disengage it.
Exactly - just as has happend to me (see my post above).

:eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts