Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was requested to submit my setup to monitor transmission temperature during towing. Not sure if it is "stickyworthy" but here it is.
I have a 2014 EX-L 4WD that I use to tow a 3200# boat/trailer several times a summer. The longest trip is usually a run from Chicago to Minneapolis in July/August.
I found that one setup that helps with towing confidence is being able to monitor transmission temperature during the run. There are periods during the trip to Minneapolis where grades will bump temperature up in a relative hurry. Having an eye on the temperature allows me to back off the speed a bit when temperature begins to climb.
As most on this forum already knows the Pilot OBD datalink includes the transmission temperature message and data which is accessible through the diagnostic connector when a scanner app is configured correctly.

The following setup has worked quite well:
• IPhone 7+ and small phone stand (fits nicely on the console below the shifter)
• OBD Fusion App (App Store,~$10) Highly configurable.
• Foseal Car WIFI OBDII OBD2 scanner (Amazon, ~$20) Includes on/off switch when not in use.
Although the exact scanner was no longer listed on Amazon the following should work fine:

User PID settings (configured inside app):
Information
Name: TFT1
Description: TRANS
Category: Transmission
Manufacturer: Honda
Units
Metric Units: Blank
English Units: F
Min Value: -40
Max Value: 300
Metric to English scale factor: 1
Metric to English Offset: 0
OBD Information
Module/ Header: ECM
OBD Mode: 22
PID Number: 2201
Priority: High
Equation
(AA*(9/5)-40)

I have attached a screenshot of the display setup shown on my iPhone

Note that at the time I created the setup last year (2017) Bluetooth based OBD scanners did not work with Apple products. Based on what I read Android based devices will work with Bluetooth based OBD scanners.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you guys run into the same issue as me (no data received). I found out that I had to leave HEADER/ MODULE blank so that it filed ECM on its own instead of me writing down ECM.

Cheers and thank you so much RimasP for sharing this info!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was requested to submit my setup to monitor transmission temperature during towing. Not sure if it is "stickyworthy" but here it is.
I have a 2014 EX-L 4WD that I use to tow a 3200# boat/trailer several times a summer. The longest trip is usually a run from Chicago to Minneapolis in July/August.
I found that one setup that helps with towing confidence is being able to monitor transmission temperature during the run. There are periods during the trip to Minneapolis where grades will bump temperature up in a relative hurry. Having an eye on the temperature allows me to back off the speed a bit when temperature begins to climb.
As most on this forum already knows the Pilot OBD datalink includes the transmission temperature message and data which is accessible through the diagnostic connector when a scanner app is configured correctly.

The following setup has worked quite well:
• IPhone 7+ and small phone stand (fits nicely on the console below the shifter)
• OBD Fusion App (App Store,~$10) Highly configurable.
• Foseal Car WIFI OBDII OBD2 scanner (Amazon, ~$20) Includes on/off switch when not in use.

User PID settings (configured inside app):
Information
Name: TFT1
Description: TRANS
Category: Transmission
Manufacturer: Honda
Units
Metric Units: Blank
English Units: F
Min Value: -40
Max Value: 300
Metric to English scale factor: 1
Metric to English Offset: 0
OBD Information
Module/ Header: ECM
OBD Mode: 22
PID Number: 2201
Priority: High
Equation
(AA*(9/5)-40)

I have attached a screenshot of the display setup shown on my iPhone

Note that at the time I created the setup last year (2017) Bluetooth based OBD scanners did not work with Apple products. Based on what I read Android based devices will work with Bluetooth based OBD scanners.

Hope this helps.

Awesome stuff RimasP. Thank you! Question. How did you know how to configure the app to get the trans temp result you got?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Veepeak and OBD Fusion on iPhone gets me ATF temp

Awesome stuff RimasP. Thank you! Question. How did you know how to configure the app to get the trans temp result you got?
I bought a used 2017 BE a few weeks ago. I'll be towing near the limit and want to keep an eye on the ATF temp. After many struggles I found my answer here. Thank you all very much. I am using VeePeak OBD Check BLE. It works via bluetooth on my iPhone. You turn BT on and DON'T pair it with the phone. OBD Fusion finds it just fine. Must plug it in with the ignition/engine off. When building my custom PID I had to follow the instructions above and blank out the line for ECM. Now what are the settings for other non standard measures. Oil temp?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts