Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I'll be doing some towing with my new-to-me '09 LX. I'd like to be able to monitor tranny temp as I go, particularly on the up-grades.

I'm looking into pairing the VEEPEAK OBD2 scanner with the TORQUE PRO android app, and I understand from this third-gen thread that it is possible to set up a custom PID for this as follows:

OBD2 Mode and PID: 222201
Long Name: Transmission Temp F
Short Name: ATF Temp
Minimum value: -40
Maximum value: 300
Scale factor: x1
Equation: AA*(9/5)-40
Overrides PID: "Does not override any PIDs"

What I am not clear about is whether this information is correct for the 2nd Gen Pilot. If there is anyone out there who has experience with this, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alrighty then.... I'll answer my own thread in case it helps anyone else.

I got the VEEPEAK OBDII scanner as threatened. Apparently it is one of a number of scanners that uses the ELM 327 protocol and/or microprocessor.

I got it to show tranny temperature with the TorquePro App (Android for me), but not before trying out a number of different initialization strings. Apparently some strings work for some people but not for others, and I still don't know if it has something to do with the particular OBDII scanner or the particular ECM in your vehicle.

In any case, ath0 worked for me, as is did for TheHawke (see his post of May 17, 2017 on the Torque forum). The information on HOW to set the init string came from post #16 of this forum.

So, to summarize:. After you figure out the basics with setting up a profile for your Pilot in TorquePro & getting it to talk to the OBDII scanner, set up a custom PID:
Gear Icon | Settings | Manage extra PIDs/Sensors | Ellipsis | Add Custom PID. Then enter the following.

Overrides PID: "Does not override any PIDs"

Then back to
Gear Icon | Settings | Vehicle Profile | Edit | Very Advanced
and enter the correct init string

ath0 worked for me
atsp7\natshda1df1 worked for someone else (note that the \n is a line separator)
ATCAF1 can be tried when all else fails (including just leaving it blank)

I only took one screenshot of my test-setup so it doesn't show much. This photo is right after startup. I found that usually the Coolant temp goes up much faster than ATF temp when warming up, but once at operating temperature, the Coolant temp stays relatively constant while the ATF temp moves around more depending on how hard the tranny is working, although even then it moves sort of slowly. This is to be expected, so I think all is well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
This also works for Honda Pilot 2018 on Torque Pro