Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those, who had the TSB done (flush and software update), have you noticed any improvement with how the tranny operates? I've installed a tranny cooler and did a drain and fill but I wonder if it would still be worth taking it in to have the software updated

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
862 Posts
If you are not having any issues, I would not let them mess with it.

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
If there is any hint of the rpm gauge fluctuating with the cruise control set, the vehicle needs the software update or a VCM disabler.
(6-speed conversation)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would have the update done as it changes the way the tq converter clutch operates. This will both extend fluid life and reduce heat in the trans.

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
I would have the update done as it changes the way the tq converter clutch operates. This will both extend fluid life and reduce heat in the trans.
Since I'm not using DW-1, I'm afraid to get the update, because my shifts are already firm. Opinion?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Since I'm not using DW-1, I'm afraid to get the update, because my shifts are already firm. Opinion?
I think it's still worth getting done, without the update your tq converter clutch is able to slip up to 30%, after the update it appears to the capped at 16-18%. There are other small tweaks to trans operation that make it operate better overall.

·
Registered
10,564 Posts
What do you use in your trans? Diffs? I want to run a synthetic in the diffs I think.
I'm at about 60% MaxLife ATF and 40% Beck/Arnley DW-1. Next ATF change, I plan on using MaxLife.
I have a 2wd. But I don't know of anyone venturing away from Honda Fluid for the Dif. I'm sure someone will let you know what and why.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
862 Posts
What do you use in your trans? Diffs? I want to run a synthetic in the diffs I think.
Valvoline Max life in the transmission and Eneos dual pump fluid in the rear diff. It is made by Nippon Oil, the same company who makes the Honda DPF. I used it because it is readily available up here and not as expensive.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that your personal experience? can you please elaborate what exactly you're referring to when saying it operates better overall? I'm genuinely interested in your experience.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It seems to be smoother overall, engagement, shift quality, def tq converter operation. It's hard to give you a true before and after, as I don't personally own a one, and I drive so many vehicles everyday. I know customers are happy and say that it's better after the update.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems to be smoother overall, engagement, shift quality, def tq converter operation. It's hard to give you a true before and after, as I don't personally own a one, and I drive so many vehicles everyday. I know customers are happy and say that it's better after the update.
Makes sense. Do you believe I can get it updated without actually experiencing the judder described in the TSB? I've been pretty frequent on fluid changes

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not for free, the judder MUST be logged and submitted to Honda for them to cover it.
crazy. now it's my fault that I'm trying to make the shitty engineering work but changing fluid often, yet honda won't cover it because the symptom is not there but they know that the cause of the symptom is. how dumb that is

1 - 16 of 16 Posts