Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 EX-L, 128,000 miles.

Bought the Pilot used with 110,000 miles in June. It shifted smoothly. Finally got around to drain and filling the ATF, about 10 days ago. I also had 4 new tires put on it. I put 4 quarts(Honda ATF Fluid) of fluid in it. I had a hard time reading the dipstick, but I thought it was right at the top dot. After the change and tires, some of the gear changes were a bit rough. I thought that with the tires and fluid change that the computer had to relearn shifting with the changes. This weekend I drove from Ohio to Indiana(250 miles). On the return trip, the tranny started to slip. It happened in 2nd gear(maybe 3rd). I drove gingerly not accelerating quickly to try and avoid the slippage.

So thinking that I may have put too much fluid in, I drained and refilled it with 3 1/2 quarts. It still slipped and would not downshift at 45 mph. I added another 8 ounces of fluid. It resolved the downshifting problem. Unfortunately, it still slips around 25-30mph.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
793 Posts
Quit driving it. Have it towed somewhere and have them inspect the thing. Are there any codes or check engine lights? Maybe replace the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches and try another drain and fill? Usually once it slips it will continue to slip.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,940 Posts
I’d the “D” on the dash flashed it’s likely the 3rd and/or 4th gear pressure switch(es). And as mentioned above have the codes read by a device which interprets Honda specific codes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taking it to my mechanic tomorrow. D is not flashing. The VSA light and the triangle is on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a 2006 Odyssey. We live in Mesa AZ and were heading out of the valley toward Payson (some serious hill climbs) Carrying 6 passengers and our luggage we were just short of the top of the hill when I notice the revs going up and the car slowing down. I put it in low and was able to make it to the top to some flat ground. I figured this is no way to start a Colorado vacation with even bigger climbs. I rented a Suburban for the trip. Upon returning from our uneventful trip I took the van to my mechanic, His new service writer came up with a $4500 fix, "and by the way the trans fluid looks bad". So I told him to change the fluid and I'll come get it.$165 later I take it to AAMCO. This guy CANNOT make the trans slip. Long story short, I figure if I don't climb hills this car is fine. 2k miles later and driving mainly on flat roads the car is once again a Champ. Think I'll sell it when we move to Colorado.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts