Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
I have started experiencing this few months back (noticing).
I am standing on a bit of a down slope and shift to "R" i get this distinctive "shudder/thud" sound, like the wheels/teeth of transmission are engaging.
(I will try to record it if i can, kind of hard to describe it)
I get that when engine is cold, usually in the morning (first start and shift to R) or when i leave my car in front of office building all day and leave in the early evening.
I am thinking Motor Mounts? (would like to get some thoughts on that)

My car:

2012 Pilot EX-L | 130K miles
  • Regular Service at the local Honda dealer
  • Last Trans fluid done 35K ago

thank you for reading

·
Registered
603 Posts
You are due for another transmission service, but that isnt it.

If you want to know if it is motor mounts, have a friend record video of the engine, on their phone when you first start up in one of these scenarios. If the engine moves dramatically that helps diagnose it.

Further - when you put it in drive, then back to R, does it do it again when cold? If the motor mounts are failed, you should be able to repro it pretty easily.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Change your transmission fluid (3x drain and fills) and check your motor mounts. The pass side mount right where the timing belt is usually fails first.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you all!, will try to record this when i can. But i think it is inevitable (the motor mounts)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The Stupid Simple Test of motor mounts: Put a strip of blue masking tape around the mount. If the mount moves excessively, it tears the tape.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd also have the software updated to the latest version. We had some REALLY goofy and bad noises from ours early on where it'd make gear grinding noises on very rare occasions going from park to drive. It would happen about once every 6 months, but sounded like someone mis-shifting a manual transmission usually followed by a clunk when it engaged. I thought for sure the trans was bad, but after a SW update it hasn't done it since (~5 years).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts