Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning I dropped my son off at school, and when I left the school I had my first ever problem with my Pilot (10,900 miles). It started fine, and I had my foot firmly on the brake. However, the shift column remained locked, and I could not shift from Park. I took my foot on and off the brake several times, with no luck. Just about the time I'm starting to panic, the shift lever finally unlocked and I was able to drive.

Since that time, I've been in and out of the Pilot several times and everything seems to be fine. Naturally, I'm worried this will happen again at an inconvenient time and not unlock the next time.

Has anyone experienced this, and does anyone know a way to override the lock in an emergency to avoid having to tow the Pilot?:confused:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I believe I've experienced this several times, but always managed to shift out of park the second try. The override is under that little "cover" on the steering wheel, to the right and close to the dash. Operation of the shift lock release is described on pages 236 and 237 of the manual, which you can find here: http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4120&perpage=15&pagenumber=17 thanks to kemosabe and bkwon.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Tool Kit?

Hey this page says that the tool needed to release the lock is not included in the tool kit. Um, I don't think I got a tool kit. Anyone have any ideas as to what they mean? Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
As to a toolkit, I suppose they mean the jack and lug wrench. Or it's a booboo in the manual.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Anyone know why this happens in the first place or what triggers it to happen? I think I experienced this transmission lock before and was able to change gears after a few attempts, but just thought it was a random thing. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts