Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

How does the shift lever feel to you?

• It felt funny at first, but I\'m used to it now.

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • It felt funny at first, and it\'s still feeling wierd!

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • It has always felt fine. What are you talking about?!

Votes: 14 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things most Pilot owners first notice as strange, is the way the transmission shift lever feels in your hand as you change gears. There is a shift pattern! :)

Did you notice this? How does it feel now that you've driven your Pilot for a while? :29: :28:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shift feel is a lot like the current generation Odyssey.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Nah ... it's like mom's old 1970 something Olds Cutlass Tank Supreme 20 seater Station Wagon ... Very very retro ... all its missing is the wood paneling ...

PrG

;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Felt odd at first. Now that I'm used to it, the lever in our Sienna feels odd to me.

Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
It felt odd to me at first, but then I realized that I was using the wiper control. :D

Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice one!

That was good xyzzy.:21:
I guess many are use to the shifter on the floor. I had a CRV before the pilot, so I got the wiper grab out of my system by the time we got the Pilot.

Chet:D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My CR-V shifter feels similar to the Pilot, even though the mounting is different.
My problem is the parking brake. Just as I got used to the one on the dash for the CR-V, I got th ePilot!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well as others here... My windshield is clean but I keep grabbing the the gear shift on the floor like in my Accord. Really wish it wasn't on the column but I didn't spray my windshield all day yesterday so I must be getting used to it.
But... Are you talking about the actual 'pattern' of the shifting or the placement of it on the column vs the floor? I think I have noticed a kinda wierd "flow" to it. :8:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Now that I'm used to the flow I like it. It was gimmicky different at first but I like it. I even stick it in Neutral sometimes going down a big hill to let it coast. (Otherwise it downshifts for the 'logical' transmission.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Coasting is not a good idea

Should you have to accelerate you will be out of gear, and should you get going a bit too fast (I have heard Western PA has a few little hills) you will have to rely completely on your brakes.
I am also a bit leary about what the transmission tryes to do whne put back in gear at highway speeds.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have no problem with it. Also, I can't understand why some say that their knee will knock it out of gear while driving. I'm 6'2" and my knees are nowhere close to hitting the shifter.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
At first it took a little getting used to since most of the shift gear levers I've used in the past just went pretty much straight up and down. So, the Pilot's was a bit different to me, but I'm totally used to it by now.

For me, if the car's not a standard, then get the gear shift out of the center console and gimme more storage room.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Now that I finally have my Pilot, I can respond to this stuff!

The shifter to me is fine, yes, it does get some getting used to but I like it because it is different.. I find it interesting that Honda changed alot of common things like, High beams are usually pulling back, not forward?? But again I like it because it is different.

The Climate controls are definitely high quality, but I really have to think about how to use them.. (reading the manual now)

There is so much to learn in my Pilot, I LIKEY! makes it more fun..

I not sure why some people don't like the sound system, I agree it is not top of the line, but it is beautiful sounding.

(My wifes favourite is the doors.. when you close them they make such a nice soft sound and you can close them without any effort at all)

Very happy with my wheels

take care
rob

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!

I know I started this thread, but after six months of driving, the shifter feels fine.

In fact, I drove a friend's F150 the other day, and now THAT shift lever feels wierd!! (My previous vehicle was an F150)

Go Pilot!:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
Same here

Sage said:
Well as others here... My windshield is clean but I keep grabbing the the gear shift on the floor like in my Accord. Really wish it wasn't on the column but I didn't spray my windshield all day yesterday so I must be getting used to it.
But... Are you talking about the actual 'pattern' of the shifting or the placement of it on the column vs the floor? I think I have noticed a kinda wierd "flow" to it. :8:
After readding yours it reminded me that I used to grab that winshield control thing when I first got my Pilot.Luckly,I did not pull that thing down hard enough.Frankly,that shifting lever felt strange to me at first,felt like it turns in your hand

1 - 17 of 17 Posts