Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
First post. Bought a used 2010 Pilot with 50k on it 4 years ago. Loved it for the first 2 plus years, took the family 10k miles cross country without any problems.
Then the VCM code came on, 2 months beyond recall date, fought with American Honda who agreed to pay half the cost for the $200 software upgrade, the first step. I wanted the final step, the lower end rebuilt (as I recall) so I didn't have to ever think about it again, no dice. Still pissed off I was never informed about the recall.
Anyhow, on a 2 1/2 hour trip last fall, the check engine light came on briefly with no adverse effects .Haven't driven it for long trips since then. These days, with 122k on the vehicle, the transmission rumbles for a few seconds between 35-45 mph, it's rather disconcerting. Sounds like you're driving over rumble strips.
Does this mean the tranny is getting worse? The car needs shocks and other work, but I will trade it in before I put any money into it if I get any indication the tranny is going to crap out on me.
Any advice appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a warranty extension not a recall, only vehs that have the problem get fixed.
For the trans, have you ever changed your trans fluid?
That's right, it's coming back to me, I was pissed because it was my first Honda and didn't expect anything like this. I wasn't satisfied with AH either.
I will get the trans fluid changed if you folks think it is a good idea. However, as stated before, if the vehicle is just going to get worse, I will get rid of it in the next month or so when my wife gets a new car. I don't want to if I don't have to, but...

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Paging @Nail Grease.
We have a new patient in urgent need of a prescription for S-VCM and VML therapy.
You said it.
To the OP,
If your willing to spend around $150 to know if your transmission is toast, buy a VCM disabling device and 3 gallons of Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Do 1 drain and fill, drive until the engine and transmission is warm. Do a 2nd drain and fill. Drive a week, 50-100-200 miles if it's going well. Do the 3rd.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paging @Nail Grease.
We have a new patient in urgent need of a prescription for S-VCM and VML therapy.
I've done some research on it, but there was no conclusion as far I could tell. I am not going to disable the VCM module or anything. I am getting to the age I just don't want to have to worry about the trans failing. What is the prescription for my therapy?:)
Unfortunately, it has made me leery of Hondas, although in reality I know most manufacturers have problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You said it.
To the OP,
If your willing to spend around $150 to know if your transmission is toast, buy a VCM disabling device and 3 gallons of Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Do 1 drain and fill, drive until the engine and transmission is warm. Do a 2nd drain and fill. Drive a week, 50-100-200 miles if it's going well. Do the 3rd.
Just looked up the device. If people here have done it, I may give it a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just looked up the device. If people here have done it, I may give it a try.
My oil consumption is normal btw. I may do a trans flush first. Then install the VCM tuner if I so desire.
Thanks for replying all!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Try doing a 3x drain and fill. Have you ever changed the fluid before? It is definitely due if it hasn't. You can use DW-1 (Honda OEM fluid) or you can try Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Some people hate Honda fluid and swear by Valvoline. Some are perfectly happy with OEM. Either way, the most important thing is that you put new fluid in. I would be willing to bet clean fluid will improve the transmission.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Note that Honda doesn't recommend "flushing" the transmission.
Also, it doesn't have a pan that you can drop, like other transmissions, to drain all of the fluid at once.
Plus, there is no readily accessible/replaceable filter.

What Honda calls a "flush" is a sequence of 4 drain and refill cycles, with some driving or operation of the transmission in between.
Each drain and refill only changes about a third of the ATF, so it needs to be done several times to approach a complete change.
Usually, only one drain and refill is sufficient for normal maintenance.
Neglected transmissions may need and benefit from a more thorough fluid change.

Start with one drain and refill and see if you notice any improvement.
Some have reported favorable results using Valvoline MaxLife ATF instead of Honda ATF.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I'd run to Wal-Mart on my own 2 feet and have my vehicle parked indefinitely until I secured 3 gallons of Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
S-VCM is working well for me, but there is another.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
I'd run to Wal-Mart on my own 2 feet and have my vehicle parked indefinitely until I secured 3 gallons of Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
We'll watch you on the trip back from Walmart running and juggling three gallons of VML.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
We'll watch you on the trip back from Walmart running and juggling three gallons of VML.
Went to Wal-Mart today for a few things, and I figured while I was there, I'd grab a couple of jugs of VML. Notta one on the shelf. 😕

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Went to Wal-Mart today for a few things, and I figured while I was there, I'd grab a couple of jugs of VML. Notta one on the shelf. 😕
View attachment 146551
You're just a one-man supply chain disruptor.

The Walmart website shows that the store on S. Staples St. in Corpus Christi should have it in stock, along with the stores in Portland and Aransas Pass,

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
You're just a one-man supply chain disruptor.

The Walmart website shows that the store on S. Staples St. in Corpus Christi should have it in stock, along with the stores in Portland and Aransas Pass,
Nope. Not going to drive all over Texas. I shoulda finished the story.
I came home and ordered online.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Unfortunately, it has made me leery of Hondas, although in reality I know most manufacturers have problems.
Be sure to post back the results from all the tips you received. Other than VCM the grass ain't always greener out there but luckily there is an anti-vcm device....LOL

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I've done some research on it, but there was no conclusion as far I could tell. I am not going to disable the VCM module or anything. I am getting to the age I just don't want to have to worry about the trans failing. What is the prescription for my therapy?:)
I'd admit that I'm partial to Honda, because to me, they're easy to work on. I'd do what I can to keep an old vehicle going. Installing the VCM disabling device takes 5-10 minutes.
This video is of a 2016 model, but the location is the same.
I do believe that this along with the 3x drain and fill with Valvoline MaxLife ATF would get this vehicle on the road to recovery, but it doesn't end with just this. If you have no desire for doing vehicle maintenance, then your at the mercy of dealerships and or a mechanic shop. Even new vehicles need maintenance. Some more than others.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
I'd admit that I'm partial to Honda, because to me, they're easy to work on. I'd do what I can to keep an old vehicle going. Installing the VCM disabling device takes 5-10 minutes.
If you have no desire for doing vehicle maintenance, then your at the mercy of dealerships and or a mechanic shop. Even new vehicles need maintenance. Some more than others.
Someone who has an aversion to either doing or having done for them preventative maintenance for their vehicle shouldn't buy a new vehicle.
They should lease one for three years.
Choose a vehicle from one of the luxury brands whose dealers will pick up (and return) the vehicle when service is required and leave a loaner in its place.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts