Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Day guys! I have a 2010 EXL 4WD..just wanted to ask if you guys have experienced like a shudder during downshift. I already changed my ATF it was ok for awhile but it came back. Kinda experiencing slight rough shifting. I do not know how the Mechanic changed it all I know is I provided Honda Genuine ATF. If anyone of you experienced this please let me know.. I am going in a 1000 mile road trip soon. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Good Day guys! I have a 2010 EXL 4WD..just wanted to ask if you guys have experienced like a shudder during downshift. I already changed my ATF it was ok for awhile but it came back. Kinda experiencing slight rough shifting. I do not know how the Mechanic changed it all I know is I provided Honda Genuine ATF. If anyone of you experienced this please let me know.. I am going in a 1000 mile road trip soon. Thanks!
A shudder, sometimes it requires changing the ATF more than once. For this problem on this year model, I'm headed to Wal-Mart and grabbing three 1 gallon jug of Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF and doing it 3 times. After the first, drive 20 miles or so, after the 2nd, drive a little further, 100+, then do a 3rd.
I'd also disable the VCM.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Thank you so much! This helps alot will run to walmart tomorrow to Grab some!
Since it is AWD, have you drained and filled the differential? If not, you will need 3 quarts of VTM-4 fluid. Use only Honda Fluid for this service.
Again, if its AWD the transfer case oil needs to be drained and filled if its never been done. This required 80W-90 gear oil meeting GL4 or GL5 standards.
Videos on how these are done on YouTube.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,336 Posts
Since it is AWD, have you drained and filled the differential? If not, you will need 3 quarts of VTM-4 fluid. Use only Honda Fluid for this service.
Again, if its AWD the transfer case oil needs to be drained and filled if its never been done. This required 80W-90 gear oil meeting GL4 or GL5 standards.
Videos on how these are done on YouTube.
Just to clarify, Nail is talking about the rear differential.

Changing fluid, is an excellent first step with any automatic transmission misbehavior. Sometimes it does indeed take several changes. The Valvoline is a good choice for you.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,189 Posts
Any blinking lights on the dash indicating there is a diagnostic code?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes, I don’t think you can change the trans fluid on these too much.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Who knows about external or add-on ATF filters??
We have 2009 Pilot FWD Touring, 103k miles. Owned about 9 years. Have drained/filled w/ maxlife a few times. Has a muzzler type resistor on it now, installed in 2019. Still has original TB/WP/Serpentine, so that's on my list to do soon too....

I want to address the transmission first though....
I have no tranny complaints, but was recently on verge of ordering a universal ATF cooler to maximize tranny longevity, but checked the Pilot and found it already had a rectangular trany cooler on passenger side in front of AC condenser. We also already have fins on power-steering loop below. So I guess we already have towing package (included w/ Touring?).

So, I guess my only next "Tranny" step is to replace an existing external ATF filter if it exists, or install an inline magnefine type ATF filter.
Does anybody know the exact ATF filter situation (factory) for this model.

If there is no external replaceable filter, then exactly what do I need to buy to add one, and where should it go. Does it go in a place that already has rubber lines? Or do I have to cut into metal tubes? I read that honda usually takes a 3/8" (barbed) aftermarket filter ? I'd like to plan and order everything in advance.

Any specific details and directions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Who knows about external or add-on ATF filters??
We have 2009 Pilot FWD Touring, 103k miles. Owned about 9 years. Have drained/filled w/ maxlife a few times. Has a muzzler type resistor on it now, installed in 2019. Still has original TB/WP/Serpentine, so that's on my list to do soon too....

I want to address the transmission first though....
I have no tranny complaints, but was recently on verge of ordering a universal ATF cooler to maximize tranny longevity, but checked the Pilot and found it already had a rectangular trany cooler on passenger side in front of AC condenser. We also already have fins on power-steering loop below. So I guess we already have towing package (included w/ Touring?).

So, I guess my only next "Tranny" step is to replace an existing external ATF filter if it exists, or install an inline magnefine type ATF filter.
Does anybody know the exact ATF filter situation (factory) for this model.

If there is no external replaceable filter, then exactly what do I need to buy to add one, and where should it go. Does it go in a place that already has rubber lines? Or do I have to cut into metal tubes? I read that honda usually takes a 3/8" (barbed) aftermarket filter ? I'd like to plan and order everything in advance.

Any specific details and directions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Your transmission has an unserviceable ATF filter.
Me personally, I wouldn't add an additional filter. Frequent drain and fills with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF is all I would do. I have 250k miles on a 2012 5-speed Crosstour with an unserviceable filter and MaxLife has got me there without a hiccup. Not one transmission part ever replaced.
VCM disabled. ✅
My priority would be to get an Aisin TB WP kit instaled asap, Since it is past the 7 year recommendation.
I'd install 6 new NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs, complete drain and fill of the coolant, replace serpentine belt and possibly the serpentine belt tensioner (if needed).
All the other maintainace done? Brakes and BF, PS fluid.
Sounds like you got it under control. 👍

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK, thanks NailGrease! I did do sparkplugs recently (posted pics here on forum, tips were pretty good for 102k miles....). I also did/broke PCV valve, but was able to pry out the plastic o-ringed tube in one piece - - cleaned the PCV opening in the Head and oiled&slid in a minty new one! Changed Oil+Filter last weekend too, bled front brakes. Have done a few PowerSteering replacements using turkeybaster method, but hope to pull hoses and do a more thorough PS purge soon while cranking the steering wheel from side to side. I accept your advice and will skip ATF filter add-on! I've done a few drain/fills with MaxLife over the years too.

So, taking your advice I'll focus on accumulating the Aisin TB,WP,Serpentine parts and do that maintenance (including coolant and probably thermostat) over XMAS holiday... It will probably still be under 105k miles by then (car is away at kid's college!) - - not bad for a 2009 Touring!

Over the year's I've added OEM Black Wheel Well moldings as well as 20" 2007 Rims, replaced the front suspension compliance Frame bushings myself too, wrapped the center armrest with Leather, and knocked out some clunky frontend sounds by installing Swaybar greaseable links , so I think its looking good and its treating us pretty well!! Maybe some B6 Bilsteins are in its future if I detect any problem with orig shocks!

Thanks for all the knowledge and positive energy you and others bring to the forum!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Also if you are doing the TB yourself go on amazon and get the big heavy 19mm socket for $20 to get the crank bolt off the pully, I broke an impact socket using a 6' breaker bar trying to get mine off, was about to give up and googled the heavy impact socket and bought it as a last ditch before taking the pilot to a shop to get that bolt off. It worked in 2 sec the super tight bolt came right off. worth every penny of the cost. You need a good impact and compressor too. I had a similar shifting feel on mine when I got it, it had 78K miles 11 model year and I got a drain fill code on the MM. Did maxlife and it got better but it still felt weird, then I read about the VCM and put a muzzler on and it was what fixed the sensation. It was a mix of the cylinders dropping in eco and a transmission shift closed together. Since then I've now got 109K miles and have done one more Drain and fill and the transmission has been butter smooth with the Maxlife. I did my TB within 2 weeks of owning mine as it hadn't hit the miles but was 1 year over the 7 recommended Glad I did too as the tensioner was leaking and could have been a disaster if it let go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts