Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Piloteers. My old girl is starting to be less responsive when accelerating. I only have 62,000 miles on it so I am debating replacing the transmission (if necessary). I had the transmission fluid replaced two years ago. She has been an amazing car so I hate to part with her.

Advice?

Thank you!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Is this post for real? A 2005 with 62k miles means that you average 4400 miles a year. Well, I suppose that it is possible, so I'll try an answer.

First off, you don't give us any specific information on just what the Pilot is doing. This makes hard to give you a meaningful reply. Please tell us any details related to the poor performance. How about trouble codes? Do you drive the Pilot regularly for very short distances? Has the vehicle been properly maintained? Do you leave the Pilot unused for months at a time?

Why assume that you need a transmission? Lack of power is more likely an engine issue. With only 62k miles, the transmission is not likely to be worn out. Perhaps a family of mice has made a nest in the air cleaner, clogging up the intake? Perhaps the catalytic converter is plugged up for some reason? Perhaps too many short trips has caused the intake manifold and throttle body to become loaded with soot. Maybe the parking brake cable has rusted up tight, and you are driving around, dragging the brakes.

If you have the money to spare to buy a new transmission, I would suggest that you start by visiting a good mechanic with your story, and have him look at possible engine issues first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this post for real? A 2005 with 62k miles means that you average 4400 miles a year. Well, I suppose that it is possible, so I'll try an answer.

First off, you don't give us any specific information on just what the Pilot is doing. This makes hard to give you a meaningful reply. Please tell us any details related to the poor performance. How about trouble codes? Do you drive the Pilot regularly for very short distances? Has the vehicle been properly maintained? Do you leave the Pilot unused for months at a time?

Why assume that you need a transmission? Lack of power is more likely an engine issue. With only 62k miles, the transmission is not likely to be worn out. Perhaps a family of mice has made a nest in the air cleaner, clogging up the intake? Perhaps the catalytic converter is plugged up for some reason? Perhaps too many short trips has caused the intake manifold and throttle body to become loaded with soot. Maybe the parking brake cable has rusted up tight, and you are driving around, dragging the brakes.

If you have the money to spare to buy a new transmission, I would suggest that you start by visiting a good mechanic with your story, and have him look at possible engine issues first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I do make a lot of short trips around town. We tend to drive my husband's hybrid on weekends/trips. I had my car inspected in Feb. and nothing showed up.
My car seems sluggish when I need to get moving in a hurry. I feel like there is a delay in it getting to the next gear. It does get there but revs to over 2000 rpm bedore falling into place. No codes have appeared.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks. I do make a lot of short trips around town. We tend to drive my husband's hybrid on weekends/trips. I had my car inspected in Feb. and nothing showed up.
My car seems sluggish when I need to get moving in a hurry. I feel like there is a delay in it getting to the next gear. It does get there but revs to over 2000 rpm bedore falling into place. No codes have appeared.
Thanks for the added information. I suspect that the transmission fluid needs to be freshened up. Clean fluid makes a difference on the Honda 5 and 6 speed transmissions. Honda does not recommend the "Flush machine" procedure, and instead you should have your mechanic do a drain and refill of the transmission. Honda DW-1 is the recommended fluid, but another popular choice is Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. A drain and fill will change out about 3.5 quarts of the ATF. This is about 40% of the fluid in your transmission. If the fluid that drains out is dark brown, or even black, it is burned, and the drain and fill should be repeated two more times (drive a few miles between each D&F).

Your transmission also has an external filter which is located on the outside, hidden under the battery tray. With only 62k miles, it probably does not need to be changed, unless the drained fluid looked burned.

You should try doing a search on this forum for a key phrase that describes your Pilots symptoms. You will find multiple threads by piloteers who have had similar problems, and suggested fixes. It is possible that an engine issue is also contributing to your sluggish performance. Good luck.

·
Administrator
15,510 Posts
A lack of maintenance is likely the cause. Fluid age through use and time. Drain and refilled the ATF. I recommend you consider other fluids as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually had the transmission fluid replaced 2 years ago so that shouldn't be an issue. I will have my mechanic take a look. I have a new timing belt, water pump, power steering fluid and have never missed an oil change. My Pilot just feels sluggish.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Are you firing on all cylinders?

No, it's not a question on your mental state. :D It's meant literally, as in pull, check and retorque your spark plugs in case one or more of them may have backed out, a known issue.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Here is another thought: The 2005 Pilot is known for radiator internal failure. The transmission cooling pipe, which is part of the radiator, can fail and allow the anti-freeze and ATF to mix. It is possible that this has occurred without any visible leaks. Check your anti-freeze by removing the cap when the engine is cold. If this has happened, the result has been described as looking like a pink milkshake. If anti-freeze is mixed into the ATF and circulating in the transmission, the trans is not going to work properly. Radiator replacement and flush of both cooling system and transmission is required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts