Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am having problems with the transmission in my Honda pilot itHas a 3.5 VTEC motor OK I have replaced the temperature sensor both Oval and I have a lot come on tell me the transmission fluid was getting hot well that light is off now but the transmission is not engaging my question is where The transmission cooler located I’ve been told it’s in the radiator does anyone know and also does the transmission have a filter that can be serviced without removing the transmission?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,033 Posts
Not sure what year your Pilot is. Tranny cooler is integrated into the radiator. I believe those with a tow package have an additional tranny cooler placed in front of the radiator.

2003 and 2004 has an external canister tranny filter. I believe it is the screw-in type.

2005 requires removal of a cover plate to access the filter. Look for a post from Ceraboy (if I remember correctly). He posted a very detailed writeup on this.

2003-05 tranny filter is located behind/below the battery.

There has been some debate if the 2006-2008 requires the tranny to be separated from the engine block to access the filter.

You can find part diagrams at
hondaautomotiveparts.com which tend to be fairly helpful in determining location of the filter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Any transmission issues like hesitation, surging, shaking, slipping and various noises can be a sign of parts not getting enough fluids (starvation). Fluids get dirty and gunky that results in fluid not getting tot he parts quickly. First, I would do a fluid changes (3-4 times will ensure that the fluid will get replaced completely). Drive the Pilot a few miles in between exchanges.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts