Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Pilot got stuck at the light last weekend with the dashboard engine light flashing. I was able to goad it slowly to the side of the road a block away where it eventually became immobile and towed. There, while waiting for the towtruck, I noticed transmission fluid leaking. I immediately look for the tell tale sign of “strawberry milkshake” colored coolant in the coolant reservoir but this was not apparent (too hot to remove the radiator cap). After it got towed to our house, I was able to confirmed the following morning the coolant in the radiator. Color is still blue and radiator is full. I pulled the transmission dipstick and the fluid is red (I did a three times drain and fill last summer as part of maintenance for an older car). The pavement also showed more fluids leaked overnight. Radiator is original (thought of replacing it 5 years ago but I rolled the dice). The question is, is my transmission toast?

·
Administrator
15,520 Posts
Things I would do. Start car, does Reverse work? Does it move off in D? Does it move of shifted to 1?
You'll know pretty soon the answer to your question.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
Also see if you can find the high point where the fluid leaked from.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m thinking of replacing the radiator altogether. But I need to find out first if it’s worth the effort. It definitely did not move when I put it in D after I pulled it over about a block away from where it first got stuck at the light. I will have to try putting it in reverse and 1. Can you please (Rocky) explain the significance of this. Thanks,

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I attempted to replace the radiator but gave up on it after 5 hours. I was able to remove the top 4 bolts on top of the radiator but the bottom 4 bolts are too rusted out and much harder to remove. In fact, even the top bolts were too rusted out that I ended up destroying the plastic parts of the radiator attached to the bolts. So I got it towed to my local shop and got them to replace the radiator. What made me decide to roll the dice here are the following. After, draining the coolant and transmission fluid and made sure there was no mixing of the two, and also I found where the leak was (when I pulled out the hose from the transmission oil cooler, the the metal part that the hose attached to came off). As I stated earlier in my post, there was no decrease in the amount of coolant int he radiator nor change in color in both the coolant and transmission fluid. Today, I drove the Pilot 12 miles from the shop to my house and I did not observe any consequences (yet) from the leakage.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, the labor bill came up to $402. Radiator from amazon was $108, transmission fluid was 88 (12 quarts--I ordered extra just in case), $50 for 2 gallons of coolant. Car shop used 4 quarts of transmission fluid and 1 gallon of coolant.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I changed the transmission fluid three more times in a period of 5 days (driving about 5 miles in between changes) after new radiator was put in 2-3 weeks ago--a total of 4 changes. So far, so good. Still trying to get back my confidence tho--driving a few miles longer each time. Keeping my dirty fingers crossed...

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 2005 Pilot had the original radiator at 150k miles. I decided to change it out just to be safe after witnessing a friend's Ridgeline suck antifreeze into the transmission. When I was removing the lines to the transmission cooler the port easily pulled out of the radiator. The metal washer had corroded and swelled up, pulling the threads out of the radiator. It was only a matter of time before it started leaking and dumped my transmission fluid along the road.

The bolts that hold the fan mounts on were also completely rusted on mine. I had to use a Dremel to grind them off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts