Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around here and did not see a similar post. But if there is a similar one and I missed it please redirect me.
Anyhow, Here is the issue with my 2wd 06 EX pilot . When shifting from P to D or from N to D, I feel a jolt like someone has rear ended the car. It's not very strong but it's there . It seems to be better once I drive it for few miles.
If I shift to R then everything is fine , no shake , no jolt.
Is it something that I should be concerned about?
I appreciate you all's help.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Could be a sign of a broken engine mount.

Reactions: STMech

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Depends how bad it is, but when was the last time you changed your ATF and with what ATF? Perhaps one course of action would be a 3x drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a few miles between each.

That said, I think @Nail Grease nailed it. :). Open your hood and look for movement while a helper shifts it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the car 2 years ago with 160k miles on it . It had the same issue back then . I changed the transmission fluid 3x using Honda fluid.
It got better for a while but it's back now . It has got 172k miles on the clock.
I should probably have the engine mounts checked out before changing the fluid.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
Every car I've ever driven (except manual) has clunked or jolted when changing gears.
Not violent, but I've always felt it. It could be a combination of bad/going bad engine mounts and an older transmission.
Nothing to be alarmed about. Just continue maintaining your transmission by changing the fluid when needed.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Every car I've ever driven (except manual) has clunked or jolted when changing gears.
Not violent, but I've always felt it. It could be a combination of bad/going bad engine mounts and an older transmission.
Nothing to be alarmed about. Just continue maintaining your transmission by changing the fluid when needed.
If you suspect a transmission problem..., I'd change the fluid to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Your vehicle was originally specd for Z1, a fluid Honda no longer makes.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,593 Posts
If you suspect a transmission problem..., I'd change the fluid to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Your vehicle was originally specd for Z1, a fluid Honda no longer makes.
I don’t suspect a problem. It’s a common characteristic of transmissions with higher mileage. The fluid I am using in my formerly Z1 specd transmission is designed to be better according to Honda. I’ve had no issues.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I don’t suspect a problem. It’s a common characteristic of transmissions with higher mileage. The fluid I am using in my formerly Z1 specd transmission is designed to be better according to Honda. I’ve had no issues.
Over on the Accord forum, it seems Z1 specd transmissions on DW-1 are having a few more problems. It could be just wear and tear, but if your having trouble, you dont have much to loose except a few bucks to try. Beats buying shift solenoids or worse, a transmission.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
IMO, one big plus for Valvoline Maxlife ATF is the fact that there are seal conditioners blended in. The formulation is designed for a higher mileage/older transmission. Plus the fact that it's fully synthetic. I agree with Mr. Nail Grease, use Maxlife on the old Gen 1 transmissions. Or as Plplplpl says, "the elixir of life" for old Pilot trannies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could be a sign of a broken engine mount.
Ok, so I finally got around to look at the engine movement while shifting to R or D.
There is a very minimal movement when shifting from N to R but a lot more when shifting from N To D.
Does that mean engine mount issue?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Likely.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
How can I find out which mount is the bad one ? From what I read here it is most likely the front one but I want to be sure.
Which ever side lifted up abnormally or both. Putting it in drive puts stress on the front mount. Lots of videos on YouTube. Would hate for you to replace an ok mount.

Reactions: Alijoon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got the front mount today. But I decided to ask you guys opinion before tackling the job. So I got a video to share(link below).
when I shift from N to D you can hear the clunk and see the engine movement. Then when I applied brake and pushed the gas, twice actually the second time I went a little bit more gas, I do not see that much of an engine movement. I just want to get second opinion before possibly replacing a good mount. I appreciate your help.

VID-20201230-WA0004

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I got the front mount today. But I decided to ask you guys opinion before tackling the job. So I got a video to share(link below).
when I shift from N to D you can hear the clunk and see the engine movement. Then when I applied brake and pushed the gas, twice actually the second time I went a little bit more gas, I do not see that much of an engine movement. I just want to get second opinion before possibly replacing a good mount. I appreciate your help.

VID-20201230-WA0004
The front mount does look loose to me, but it also appears that the shift linkage may need attention. I thought of this post...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found out that the side mount was completely busted. Replaced both front and side mount and did the gear shift fix .
The gear lever moves a lot easier. The jolt/ shake from Park to Drive is still there but a lot less noticable. This is when the car is cold . Once it warms up it's almost gone.
I changed ATF fluid once and put 4qt Valvoline max life which may have help too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts