Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is 2004 Pilot Ex 254k miles and No check engine codes. When I drive it's slips out of 3rd until I release the accelerator then it catches 4th and drive smoothly. When I put the truck in reverse the car goes forward slowly. What should I check? Thanks 馃槉

Registered
Check out this thread and post what transmission maintenance has been performed on your Pilot to get some suggestions.

Registered
I guess if no one else will ask...,
Has the transmission fluid been drained and filled regularly?

Registered
What is the cond
That鈥檚 not a good sign as this trans may be worn out.
If the ATF hasn't been changed in a while, maybe still a chance.

Reactions: ConrodM

Registered
If the ATF hasn't been changed in a while, maybe still a chance.
We all want the best for this Pilot but as you stated before 鈥淣o reverse usually equals game over for a transmission鈥. Won鈥檛 hurt to try but I think VML alone won鈥檛 do the trick this time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We all want the best for this Pilot but as you stated before 鈥淣o reverse usually equals game over for a transmission鈥. Won鈥檛 hurt to try but I think VML alone won鈥檛 do the trick this time.
Thanks for all your help! How or where should I take it now? Any recommendations?

Registered
Going forward in reverse. Something isn't right. It sounds like it isn't shifting. Maybe old fluid. Just a BIG guess.

Reactions: ConrodM and aggrex

Registered
Thanks for all your help! How or where should I take it now? Any recommendations?
It may be a long shot, but if it's old fluid, and if you DIY, I'd do some drain and fills of the transmission using Valvoline MaxLife ATF. Wal-Mart sells this for $17.97 a gallon. It takes about 3.5qts to do a drain and fill on level ground. Do one D&F drive the vehicle until it warms up to operating temperature, then do a 2nd. After the 2nd, you should see some improvement, if so after a few 100 miles, do a 3rd.
It would be good to scan the vehicle for any trouble codes first.
Again this is just a big maybe to try and figure out what is wrong and see if it can be saved.

Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
I'm dealing with the same sort of problem with my 04. See my recent thread: transmission problems getting worse, next steps?

Looks like all my shifting issues are related to the two different clutch pressure solenoid valves getting clogged with debris and preventing proper shifting into or out of 3rd gear, and also really noisy and clunky shifts into park and reverse. Cleaning the valve screens seems to make the shifting problems go away, until they get clogged again.

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
My truck is 2004 Pilot Ex 254k miles and No check engine codes. When I drive it's slips out of 3rd until I release the accelerator then it catches 4th and drive smoothly. When I put the truck in reverse the car goes forward slowly. What should I check? Thanks 馃槉
Honda made a truck in 2004? I thought the the first yearmodel for the Ridgeline was 2006- which isn't a truck either LOL.
I can't help it sorry. I hope you get your SUV sorted out soon.

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
If you go the route of changing out transmission 3 and 4th gear pressure switches and shift solenoids, bite the bullet and get OEM. But try the Valvoline Maxlife 3x D&F first. I wouldn't get too hopeful, though, sorry to say. :(

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
Ooh, looks completely useless... and completely cool. :cool:

Registered
If you go the route of changing out transmission 3 and 4th gear pressure switches and shift solenoids, bite the bullet and get OEM. But try the Valvoline Maxlife 3x D&F first. I wouldn't get too hopeful, though, sorry to say. :(
Do you believe in miracles? 馃榿

1 - 16 of 16 Posts