Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L that just passed 100k miles. Over the last few months I've experienced hunting, especially accelerating under light to moderate load. The engine speed hunts back and forth across a roughly 500-RPM range as I accelerate and the engine upshifts through the gear ranges. It's not confined to a particular speed or gear.

Cruising performance is fine and going to D4 seems to help in some cases. It's more annoying than anything, but I don't want to let it go too long. I'm getting occasional catalyst efficiency codes (P0420) as well. Unsure whether that's a related issue.

I'd appreciate any guidance from those who have direct experience with this type of issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Is this happening to your car? I'm assuming that you're having an issue that relates to the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM). It shuts off three cylinders to save gas, but while that's happening, the engine vibrates and shakes a lot. To counter that, Honda added adaptive motor mounts and the torque converter also slips a little bit to make it smoother. Based off the problems that you're having, it makes it seem like that it has something to do with VCM. @Nail Grease has had a problem similar to the one in the video, and he purchased a VCM disabler which fixed his issue. S-VCM and VCM tuner II are both great options if you want to disable VCM.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Disable your VCM and those symptoms will be gone. Also a transmission fluid change will help if you haven't already done that. Also the 0420 and 0430 codes are related to it as well.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Do you know if the TSB for this symptom was ever performed?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts