Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the 03-08 forums for transmission problems, and can't seem to find what I've got going on.
My wife has had it happen several times, but I have yet to duplicate the problem.
While driving around town, sometimes it feels like the trans kicks into neutral.
She's had to pull over and put it park for 10-15 seconds, then puts it in drive and it takes off again with no problems.
I believe this has happened while in second gear each time.

I service trans at 200k+ miles, but just realized I never replaced the cartridge filter.

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance

Jeff
03 Silver EX-L "Sylvia"
242,000mi

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had similar problem in July 2017 with my 03 Pilot Sometimes while driving it felt like the car went into neutral. Engine would rev and no accelerate. Backing off on the gas, it would eventually reengage. I took the car to the shop and they said I had very little transmission fluid and that there was a leak in the front of the transmission. My fault for not checking. I only had 140K miles, but with more stuff needing replacement, I traded the car in for a CR-V. Sorry but I can't find the paper work with the shop diagnosis.

Another person posted the same problem 4/18.
03 Honda random high revving

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mapzoid!
The first thing I did was check fluid. Level and condition are OK.
...never thought about searching "revving"... smh
I'll check out the thread you linked to. Getting ready to go home.
She's been great to this point...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so fluid level and condition are good. I've seen some info on 2-3 solenoids on 04 and up, is it the same for my 03?
From what I've read, this is the beginning of the end.
Anyone have info to help me delay the inevitable?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Anyone have info to help me delay the inevitable?
Change out the 2-3 pressure switches and do the 3-4 times ATF drain & fill procedure with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
So it just Revs in neutral?

Then given a chance will go into gear?

I know you say the fluid condition is good, but if there is debris floating through the system it can stop proper gear changes.

Don't hesitate to do a single drain and refill with Honda Fluid. How's the debris on the drain plug? Drive it for a few days see if it settles down.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just drained/filled 4 qts on my '09. This is drain plug. Is that a lot of stuff magnetized on the plug? Or normal? Or little? Looks like a lot to me but I don't have a comparison. It has 121,500 miles on it, probably first time changed...

-trying attachment from mobile browser...

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rocky,

I think the OP said wife is driving around town, in gear and suddenly the car engine revs like the car is in neutral. I had the same problem. You can see the tach go up and the vehicle is not accelerating. When I backed off the gas, I could feel the transmission "reconnect".

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey, check my attachment anybody, lemme know if you've seen a transmission drainplug and how mine compares?

- I'm not sure it's a good/bad thing as an indicator of how my car's transmission has been maintained before I owned it, but exchanging 4 quarts of fluid made a noticeable difference in how it shifts. I've always felt the jolt when shifting from N/D/R was a little harsh. It's a lot smoother now. Like, I am surprised, feels like a new car.

Going through the fill bolt is soooo easy too. I got an extension and my tranny funnel was just long enough to reach it, and breaking it loose wasn't too bad with my breaker bar. So it was a super quick and easy job.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If those are all finely ground metal shavings on the drain plug then that’s completely normal. When I drain and fill the tranny once every 15k miles my wife notices the shifts become smoother. And ever since I started using the fill port I won’t go back to filling through the dipstick. It’s so much quicker and easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
is it possible you're the shift lever is being difficult to engage? My lever is stiff sometimes and doesn't engage properly in drive. Although it has never been an issue while driving.

Youtube link below. I have not done this yet but I'm going to try.

YouTube

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys and Thanks for the replies and info!
I hope everyone had as wonderful of a thanksgiving as I did.
++UPDATE++
It's been really hectic and I haven't been able to get in here.
OK, so, I FINALLY duplicated the problem. The Trans isn't shifting into 3rd gear, it just revs. I slid it into neutral while driving, then slid it back into drive and it shifted fine.
I had a fluid flush done, then read that you're not supposed to do them here six months later.
I want to put a new filter in it, it's the little canister one on the driver's side towards the top.
My Dealer wants $109 for the filter and what I think are 2 O-rings. That sounds seriously high. I bought an aftermarket filter here at work,(I manage a parts store) but can't get the O-rings and can't seem to find online.

So:
1) Replace filter
2) Replace 2-3 pressure switches
3) Drain and refill several times with Max-Life ATF

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Check out the parts section on the Majestic Honda site for those o-rings.

I think you’ve covered the three easiest things to try. I’d do the three in this order to reduce contamination of the new parts: 3x drain and fill driving a few miles in between changes, new filter, drive 20+ miles, then new switches. I’m not sure how prone to clogging the pressure switches are but I’m thinking this order should reduce the chances of that happening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out the parts section on the Majestic Honda site for those o-rings.

I think you’ve covered the three easiest things to try. I’d do the three in this order to reduce contamination of the new parts: 3x drain and fill driving a few miles in between changes, new filter, drive 20+ miles, then new switches. I’m not sure how prone to clogging the pressure switches are but I’m thinking this order should reduce the chances of that happening.
Thank you Mr. Cycle, Sir!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so I can't find those O-rings and crush washers. Maybe I'll call the dealership and tell them they've lost my business because their parts guy is trying to financially rape me. I'll probably call another dealer on Monday to see if that's just the going rate now.
Anywho, The parts circled in red are what I'm after.

*as a note, I circled the spot where the 3 and 4 gear sensors go.
3 is the low one, 4 is the one higher up and more forward.

Again, thank you to everyone for their help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts