Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Transmission help needed.

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ConrodM 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently acquired an ‘03 Pilot from my father-in-law. The battery was questionable since we had to jump it off to start it. I drove it home approximately 30 miles. Once home I let it set for 20 minutes and then tried to start it again but it would not. I took the battery out and replaced it with a new Interstate one. I took it for a drive down our street and when I turned around it made the 180 then stopped pulling. I moved the shifter through all the gears and no movement at all. I put it in park and shut the engine off, waited 10 seconds and started it up and it moved. I went about 50 feet and it stopped pulling again. I had to repeat that process about four more time to make it home. I checked the fluid and the level was way over the full mark. I drained the fluid down to an acceptable range and the problem is still present. I disconnected the battery over night and then reconnected it this morning. I drove down my driveway and circled around in the yard, (Slowly) came back up, stopped, put it in reverse and it wouldn’t move. Switched it off back on and backed it into its spot. Please help...

#2 ·
What was the condition of the fluid? If it was dark or black you can try to drain it and refill it 3 times with a few miles of driving in between and see if that makes a difference. Past experience has said once a transmission starts to slip, it is on a downward trend. You may be able to fix it for a while, but these cars are known for their weak transmissions. Some people have had luck changing the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.

#5 ·
Thanks Jack. The fluid is slightly brown.
If you're a DIY kind of guy, search for "transmission solenoids" and play the lottery.

If not, go to a reputable independent transmission shop immediately.

Not to be pessimistic, but I lost reverse the day before I gave up on mine and had it replaced. Given the other issues, you might want to have a thorough inspection of the car done before you decide to invest several thousand dollars in a transmission transplant.
Thank you.
Just curious, what does the father-in-law say about the condition of the transmission? What sort of service/repair record on the car?

Check the ground cables on the transmission. After 17 years, they could be corroded. A poor ground connection will shut down a good transmission.
Thank you! He didn’t know about the transmission issue but said his brother who had the Pilot before him said he had had issues with the differential but I haven’t confirmed that. The ground issue is a possibility because I know my father-in-law was working with the battery cables before he knew the battery was bad.

#3 ·
If you're a DIY kind of guy, search for "transmission solenoids" and play the lottery.

If not, go to a reputable independent transmission shop immediately.

Not to be pessimistic, but I lost reverse the day before I gave up on mine and had it replaced. Given the other issues, you might want to have a thorough inspection of the car done before you decide to invest several thousand dollars in a transmission transplant.

#13 · (Edited)
I hear ya. I'll take every last Cold Cranking Amp I can get.

There, I beat him to it and @Daltonganged myself. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.