Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the transmission to cooler hardline start to leak this past week. Caught it just in time as it was just weeping as it had rusted out. The dealer said they sell lots of this part and it is becoming common. The part has both a section of supply and return to the transmission cooler. It rusted at the bracket. While in there I also replaced the lower rad hose clamp, power steering return hose wire and bolt clamp and a few transmission hose clamps. The rad hose clamp was fully toast due to rust! FYI This pilot gets Krown undercoated every two years since new and has no body rust.

The line bracket fastens to the lower radiator plastic end tank with 2x 6mm that are difficult to access as they are so close to the rad support. One of my bolts (one near the rad hose) was also rusted enough that the captured nut in the rad end tank started to spin, so would not come off. I had to remove the lower vehicle front cover, grill, rad top cover, rad fans, drain coolant, and remove the rad. Here's a pic showing the part.

Here is a pic looking down behind the rad before dismantling everything. The hardline is the one that runs parallel to the rad at the bottom. You can see how rusty the lower rad hose clamp is!

Hope this helps someone else that has a transmission fluid leak.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Lucky to find the trans leak before bad things could happen. Seems not much has changed as the ATF lines are similar to my 2004. I used OEM hard lines for my repair but next time I might switch to cu-ni that won’t rust. I replaced all the rusty bolts with SS M6 bolts.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Thanks for the informative post. Picture helps a lot.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
Glad you discovered this before something failed.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 4 of 4 Posts