Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I use the dipstick hole to fill-up the tranny because it's harder for me to remove the modified filler hole(oil jet kit). I use a modified funnel w/ 1/4" clear tubing.

·
Registered
385 Posts
interpretation of maintenance schedule

Thanks for the great pix, PilotJoe.
One final question: upon reading the manual for my 2004, it says that the tranny fluid should be changed at 45k miles (under the "normal" program). Should this be construed as being a single change (approx 3.5 qts), or a complete flush (4 changes)?
If I were to ask dealers, I'm sure that 50% will say complete flush, and 50% will say a single change.
Thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
pilotjoe said:

For later models without the modified jet kit, a hand pump may no longer be necessary to refill the tranny oil unless you still want to use the dip stick hole.

Just locate the transmission filler bolt and remove it using a 17mm socket attached to an 18 inch extension bar using a 3/8" drive ratchet.

Drain the tranny oil by removing the drain plug by using a size 3/8" drive ratchet. The square drive part of the wrench fits exactly into the squarish hole of the drain plug.

After draining, put back the drain plug in preferrably with a new washer. Usually, most dealer throws in free washers along with a purchase of Honda transmission oil. If not, they're 0.25 cents a piece.
Tighten with care. Do not overtighten!

Pour in the new tranny oil on a measuring funnel attached to a long plastic tube measuring 12 inches at least with the bottom tip inserted inside the transmission filler hole.
When done, put back the filler bolt and carefully tighten.

I'm posting some pics to help identify the drain plug, the filler bolt, and the tools used.

Hope this helps....

Thanks Pilotjoe for posting those pics!
It came in very timely.

I was just about to change the tranny oil myself when I realized that my old funnel would not fit in the transmission filler hole area of my Pilot.

Luckily, the nearest auto supply in my area had your kind of funnel.

I was able to do a 4x drain and refill easily.

Just time consuming and a bit expensive I guess.:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: interpretation of maintenance schedule

davemac said:
Thanks for the great pix, PilotJoe.
One final question: upon reading the manual for my 2004, it says that the tranny fluid should be changed at 45k miles (under the "normal" program). Should this be construed as being a single change (approx 3.5 qts), or a complete flush (4 changes)?
If I were to ask dealers, I'm sure that 50% will say complete flush, and 50% will say a single change.
Thanks, in advance.
You're most welcome. :)

If you will change the tranny oil at 45K even being driven at normal conditions, I would go for the complete flush or the 4x drain and refill.

45K in my opinion is quite long a mileage for the transmission to be given just a single change or the equivalent of 3.5 qts. It may need fresh blood at this point to keep on going.:)

Then, I'll just change the tranny oil every year or every after 15K.
However this time, I'll just do a single change (3.5 qts) at each interval.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Re: Re: interpretation of maintenance schedule

pilotjoe said:

You're most welcome. :)

If you will change the tranny oil at 45K even being driven at normal conditions, I would go for the complete flush or the 4x drain and refill.

45K in my opinion is quite long a mileage for the transmission to be given just a single change or the equivalent of 3.5 qts. It may need fresh blood at this point to keep on going.:)

Then, I'll just change the tranny oil every year or every after 15K.
However this time, I'll just do a single change (3.5 qts) at each interval.
Ok will Honda do the flush and is it recommended by Honda?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Re: Re: interpretation of maintenance schedule

tangotango99 said:
Ok will Honda do the flush and is it recommended by Honda?
The complete flush I was referring to is the same 4x drain and refill procedure as prescribed by Honda in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: interpretation of maintenance schedule

pilotjoe said:

The complete flush I was referring to is the same 4x drain and refill procedure as prescribed by Honda in the owner's manual.
My guess will be around 15qts to replace all the tranny fluids

·
Registered
385 Posts
In the 2004 manual, the complete 4x flush is prescribed IF you had TEMPORARILY had to add a non-Honda brand of fluid. Its ambiguous as to whether this is also the procedure for the normal changes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
davemac said:
In the 2004 manual, the complete 4x flush is prescribed IF you had TEMPORARILY had to add a non-Honda brand of fluid. Its ambiguous as to whether this is also the procedure for the normal changes.
And also for severe driving conditions as well. :)

A lot of Honda dealerships in my area were initially surprised at my request that they perform a 4x drain and refill tranny oil change.

Some were also honest to say that the 4x drain and refill was an overkill and really not required if you follow the maintenance schedule.

Others were quick to capitalize on the opportunity. I even know of one dealer who bought a "flushing machine" just to be ahead of the game and justify their exhorbitant fees.

In the end, I decided to do it myself.

I couldn't wait for 45k, so I did it first at 30k.

I did the 4x drain and refill procedure.

The old tranny oil was just a tad darker than the new one. No burnt smell.

I plan to do the next change after 15k but only just the 1x drain and refill procedure. Doing it 4x would really be an overkill for this interval.

Thanks to Pilotjoe for his pics!

It made an ambiguous procedure a relatively easy task.:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
My observations

I just finished fluid change x4 for my 2004 Pilot with 45,000 miles. Some observations/ comments:

1. I needed a breaker bar to get the fill bolt off

2. 15 qts needed for entire job, individual drains ranged from 3.6-3.8 qts

3. I pre-marked an empty (windshield washer) 1 gallon jug at 3, 3.25, 3.5, & 3.75 qts, then emptied each drain into jug so as to know how much to put back in

4. Shame on Honda for charging $4.87 & $2.45 for the replacement aluminum washers (a disgrace).

I'm very glad I performed this procedure. There was no burn smell to the old fluid, but it was much darker than what went back in. More notable, the drain bolt has a magnetic tip (much like the VTM/rear differential drain bolt). There was a significant accumulation of metal filings on the bolt...far more than I found on the VTM bolt at the 30k change.

This was not a tough procedure, just time consuming. It does give peace of mind, and eliminates any doubt over whether a dealer or service tech may not go thru the full task of four changes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Disconnect tranny line from radiator???

Has anyone changed the ATF fluid on a Pilot by disconnecting the transmission return line from the radiator and pumping out more ATF fluid that way instead of the drain/refill/drain process? I've used that method on Fords and Nissans to get virtually 100% of the old tranny fluid out, but haven't seen any mention of that approach with a Pilot yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Re: Disconnect tranny line from radiator???

knapp9 said:
Has anyone changed the ATF fluid on a Pilot by disconnecting the transmission return line from the radiator and pumping out more ATF fluid that way instead of the drain/refill/drain process? I've used that method on Fords and Nissans to get virtually 100% of the old tranny fluid out, but haven't seen any mention of that approach with a Pilot yet. Thanks.
I will be too afraid to try that procedure

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Disconnect tranny line from radiator???

knapp9 said:
That method is NOT recommended on any transmission.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This method does work, but.......

Most transmissions can pump about 3GPM through the cooler. It is almost impossible to fill the trans at this rate. Would not suggest it unless you have the ability to or have access to a pneumatic pump like we have at the shop.

Chad

61 - 80 of 98 Posts