Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
I guess it's just human nature for some to believe there's a "better mouse trap". That's not always true, though.

I flushed my trans the way Honda says to, using O.E. Z-1 fluid, four re-fills total. Now I change it every 15k. Honda has trans problems (so do other manufactures). They have gone through extensive R & D to come up with fluids that work, trying to get more service life out of the vehicle. Use it.

N_Jay doesn't miss much, I'd recommend his suggestion.

·
Registered
226 Posts
dip stick re-fill

anyone found a refill spout small enough for pilot tranny dip stick?

Tranny fluid service is easy except ....
refilling thru the tiny dip stick hole...

What a pain...

I hope honda or someone makes real small tranny spout...

Let me know if anyone finds one...

·
Registered
130 Posts
dip stick re-fill

You might find it easier to refill through the ATF filler hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Re: dip stick re-fill

e2e said:
You might find it easier to refill through the ATF filler hole.
The ATF filler plug on all '03 Pilot had been replaced by oil jet kit.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Amount between MIN and MAX marks

wuxiao562 said:
Does anybody here know how much amount ATF bring the level from MIN mark to MAX mark?
One quart. ( from min mark to max. mark).

But why are you filling it up to the Max mark?

Honda says (as per the 04' Honda Pilot owners manual) that the ATF fluid level should be "in between" the Upper and the Lower marks of your tranny dipstick.

I usually consume 3.5 qts everytime I do a tranny oil change.

3 qts is just enough to get the level to the lower mark.

Adding half a quart is just right to bring the level midway between the lower and upper marks.

Although I've read some members of this forum reportedly consuming 3.8 qts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks a lot, Pilotjoe.

Here is the reason why I asked this question. I got a new '06 Pilot a few weeks a go. I checked ATF level recently, and foud it's right at MIN mark. I think about adding some Honda AFT, but don't want to overfill.

·
Registered
385 Posts
So how many quarts of fluid total do you need to do a 3 or 4 change cycle???
Or, in other words, how much fluid comes out each time you drain??

·
Registered
385 Posts
helpless said:

What makes you assume that only 1 qt of fluid drains out each time? :confused:
Maybe I need to clarify my question: I realize that when you drain the transmission, most of the fluid does not come out...thus the need to drain/refill/drain/refill/drain/refill (driving the vehicle, of course, between changes).

As I have never performed this service before, I want to know how many quarts of transmission fluid I need to have for this procedure?

Since PilotJoe indicated the need for 3.5 qts, I assumed that approx 1 quart drains each time. I was merely asking if this assumption is correct.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The transmission's fluid capacity is approx. 8.2 quarts. You will drain 3.5 quarts each time the fluid is changed. I hope this clarifies things.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
davemac said:

Maybe I need to clarify my question: I realize that the capacity of the transmission is just under 4 qts. I also realize that when you drain the transmission, most of the fluid does not come out...thus the need to drain/refill/drain/refill/drain/refill (driving the vehicle, of course, between changes).

As I have never performed this service before, I want to know how many quarts of transmission fluid I need to have for this procedure?

Since PilotJoe indicated the need for 3.5 qts, I assumed that approx 1 quart drains each time. I was merely asking if this assumption is correct.
You will need approx. 3.5 qts each time you take the plug out to let it completely drain. If you are going to do what you describe above (drain/refill 3 times) you will need 3.5 qts. x 3=10.5qts

For me it was 3.8 litres. But I only did one time procdedure (not the 3 times for a total change). I am changing it every other time I do the oil change.
Don't forget to pickup a new washer for the drain plug.
Once you have done it once, you will wonder what the fuss is all about. Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am planning to change my fluids by myself.

For ATF: I will change it every yr ~12000mile. Just drain it once and refill it instead of drain and refill several times.

For VTM: I will do the same as ATF together! I think it should be a very simple job except I think i need a hand pump to refill!

Any comment?

·
Registered
385 Posts
raymondaecom said:
For VTM: I will do the same as ATF together! I think it should be a very simple job except I think i need a hand pump to refill!

Any comment?
yes, I can't imagine doing the job without it. They usually cost about $5.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
tangotango99 said:
so what is the best tools to use?
You use the 3/8" end of the wrench (square drive part) to take the drain bolt out.
To refil I used a pump which had 1 hose in the bottle and the other output hose in the dip stick hole(around the outside). It wasn't too messy.

For the VTM make sure you use a different pump. For that I used a pump that had 1 hose, where you fill it from the big 4 Litre container, and pump into the VTM. You shouldn't contaminate the VTM pump with any other fluid, including trany fluid. Make sure you take the fill bolt out first, so you are not stuck with no fluid, and can't fill it back up. These two VTM bolts were on very very tight, I had to use a pipe on the wrench for leverage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sunday Rider said:

You use the 3/8" end of the wrench (square drive part) to take the drain bolt out.
To refil I used a pump which had 1 hose in the bottle and the other output hose in the dip stick hole(around the outside). It wasn't too messy.

For later models without the modified jet kit, a hand pump may no longer be necessary to refill the tranny oil unless you still want to use the dip stick hole.

Just locate the transmission filler bolt and remove it using a 17mm socket attached to an 18 inch extension bar using a 3/8" drive ratchet.

Drain the tranny oil by removing the drain plug by using a size 3/8" drive ratchet. The square drive part of the wrench fits exactly into the squarish hole of the drain plug.

After draining, put back the drain plug in preferrably with a new washer. Usually, most dealer throws in free washers along with a purchase of Honda transmission oil. If not, they're 0.25 cents a piece.
Tighten with care. Do not overtighten!

Pour in the new tranny oil on a measuring funnel attached to a long plastic tube measuring 12 inches at least with the bottom tip inserted inside the transmission filler hole.
When done, put back the filler bolt and carefully tighten.

I'm posting some pics to help identify the drain plug, the filler bolt, and the tools used.

Hope this helps....

Location of the transmission filler bolt:

Attachments

41 - 60 of 98 Posts