Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, 3rd Gen drivers I just have a question if anyone might know. I was talking to few owners at a dealership and they were complaining that their 3rd Gen Pilots are burning through transmission fluid at an astounding rate. Has anyone ever had this issue with their 3rd Gen Pilots?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
The 3rd gen transmissions tend to run hot and also the VCM puts added stress on the DW1 fluid which is not synthetic so it needs to be changed out frequently. There are several things you can do to lessen this: Install a transmission oil cooler, deactivate the VCM and replace the transmission fluid with a full synthetic type. My experience is with the 6 speeds in the LX, EX and EXL models and not the 9 speed . I have done all 3 of the things mentioned above and have no issues with my 6 speed with almost 60k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have 64K miles on my 2017 EX. 14K towing miles. My tranny and engine are smooth as day 1. I have done 3 ATF drain/fills. The latest with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. I have no tranny cooler and no VCM disabling device. KOW! I have not noticed any fluid consumption.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How does a tranny “burn through fluid at an astonishing rate”???? Is the level decreasing? Are they towing 5000 lbs at 80 mph?

Reactions: Abaton6 and aggrex

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
How does a tranny “burn through fluid at an astonishing rate”???? Is the level decreasing? Are they towing 5000 lbs at 80 mph?
The DW1 fluid is getting burnt and turns a nasty dark brown colour due to overheating. I don't think anyone is losing fluid.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I would place a little more weight on the statement in post #1 if "a few owners were saying the tranny 'Overheat Warning' message was appearing at an astonishing rate". Tranny fluid will never darken with age/miles????......only overheating???? Hum.

Seems like a very subjective statement when "talking to a few owners at a dealership".🤷‍♂️ Wonder if the dealership is trying to up-sell to a few unsuspecting owners telling them their tranny fluid is dark - needs to be changed?

Reactions: Abaton6

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
The statement "burning through" probably indicates the dealerships recommending to the owner the need for multiple drain and fills to remove old ATF from the transmission to correct a problem. The owner is like using this term in a metaphorical way. None the less, their statement shouldn't be blown off as if nothing is wrong. It could possibly be a leak.

Reactions: Hondamon
1 - 8 of 8 Posts