Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
I use Honda fluid in the rear diff, too. I'm sure you probably have a cheaper alternative to that, as well... but I'm still gonna use Honda fluid.
Nope, there is no alternatives to the VTM-4 fluid whatsoever. My guess is there isnt a market for a aftermarket fluid of that type since it would likely be for Honda only. I don't know of any other Awd systems like Honda VTM-4 and Sh-Awd.

The ATF if different. It's not like Valvoline is mixing atf in a bathtub, calling it "multi vehicle" and selling it. They do there own R&D like every one else. Use whatever fluid that makes you comfortable and fits your needs. Its mostly quality stuff these days. Essentially, just service your Pilots transmission frequently with a quality fluid and you'll likely extend the life of it. Skip a few too many services and you'll likely pay the bigger price.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One of the things people don’t debate on this forum is which fluid to use for the VTM-4. Nobody on here, as far as I can recall, has recommended non-OEM for that, and those who have unintentionally used non-OEM have quickly drained and filled with the OEM fluid.
There aren’t any that I know of. The rear diffs don’t give as much trouble compared to these transmissions which is why they don’t get as much attention.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
I'm not trying to convince anyone to NOT use whatever fluid they want. But here's the ingredients of the "full synthetic" MaxLife multivehicle ATF. If it was truly FULL synthetic, it wouldn't be $18 a gallon.
View attachment 153505
Are you sure that's the correct data sheet (SDS) for the Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF we're talking about? Valvoline makes several non-synthetic Maxlife ATFs. Your data sheet looks like one of those.

I'm attaching a data sheet for their synthetic ATF, which is different.
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Symmetry

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Attachments

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Are you sure that's the correct data sheet (SDS) for the Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF we're talking about? Valvoline makes several non-synthetic Maxlife ATFs. Your data sheet looks like one of those.

I'm attaching a data sheet for their synthetic ATF, which is different.
View attachment 153514
View attachment 153513
Look for the MSDS with a revision date of 06/02/2021.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Aha, so they changed their recipe, and they were presumably required to rename some chemical ingredients, it seems. Nice find. Where did you get it? Do you have a link?

So now the debate expands from Coke vs. Pepsi, to Old Coke vs. New Coke.
Purple Violet Art Font Circle

For the record, the VML stash in my garage includes both. Which to go with? Oh, the dilemma. :D

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Not doubting, I was on the Valvoline site, too, but what I found for the same product code was slightly different, because I was looking at the "Purple Book" for the Americas, rather than the ones for the US or Canada, which are similar, even though they all have that same revision date. Also interesting that the country-specific ones have more or less specific details compared to the Purple Book ones. Anyway, someone or something made them cry uncle petroleum. :D

OK, time for our SAE engineer friend to come back, I'll put some water in my wine, too, and explain to us what in blazes a "Purple Book" is. I'll hazard a totally uneducated guess before even googling it that it's for what to do when someone puts the ATF funnel where it doesn't belong, ingests some of the stuff, gets sick and starts turning purple.
Automotive lighting Flash photography Camera Electric blue Font

Attachments

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
Close... :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
220K on OEM with 30K mile changes on my 2005 Pilot EX. No towing and 90% two occupants.
Differential every 20K. I really don't know what I'll get when this one goes. I need to get into the 30mpg+. I'm 6'4" and with the increased windshield rake of newer vehicles it's tougher to get into most SUV's out there.

·
Registered
10,532 Posts
I use this brand but in Oil. Any suggestions if Valvoline or Mobil for transmission of Oil is “better”? Or each you there own?
Don't get us started.

OK, do. I'm in the VML ATF camp.

3, 2, 1...
Purple Violet Art Font Circle

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
I use this brand but in Oil. Any suggestions if Valvoline or Mobil for transmission of Oil is “better”? Or each you there own?
I've been using Valvoline MaxLife ATF for years as many others have. I've never used Mobil ATF to form an opinion between the two.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Then, again, many others have never used Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
Well that’s what is so great about the forum. A place where we can discuss the products we use. Then share our experiences with others.

·
Registered
See you space cowboy...
213 Posts
I would love to try the Mobile1 synthetic multi-vehicle formula. Problem is I cant find it anywhere not even online. All can dig up is the data sheet from this year.

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
I would love to try the Mobile1 synthetic multi-vehicle formula. Problem is I cant find it anywhere not even online. All can dig up is the data sheet from this year.
All I can find is the M1 synthetic blend ATF and it's really pricey.
Not for Honda?

61 - 80 of 83 Posts