Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to drain and refill my ATF on my 2017 Pilot EX with 6 speed tranny. I would rather use/buy an aftermarket brand instead of Honda ATF because it should be a lot less expensive. But I don't want to risk any warranty issues. What does Honda charge for a quart of ATF? I understand I will need aprox 3.5 qts.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I want to drain and refill my ATF on my 2017 Pilot EX with 6 speed tranny. I would rather use/buy an aftermarket brand instead of Honda ATF because it should be a lot less expensive. But I don't want to risk any warranty issues. What does Honda charge for a quart of ATF? I understand I will need aprox 3.5 qts.
The Only aftermarket product i have seen across the boards that people have had success with is Valvoline MAX ATF...or stick with the OEM fluids.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
If your Pilot takes the standard Honda ATF it only runs about $8 per quart at the dealership. I think only the nine speed tranny requires the fluid which costs $35+ per quart.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well $8 sounds a lot better than $50. I just have the 6 speed tranny. I tow a small boat with it every weekend so I plan to drain and refill every 2 years or 30K miles. Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Assuming you’re still under warranty, I would stick with the OEM( DW-1) After the warranty is out, there are multiple choices outside of OEM fluid. ( Castrol Import, Castrol HighMileage, Castrol Synthetic, Valvoline Max-Life.) All are good fluids for Honda/Acura vehicles

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
We all seen horror stories on what aftermarket fluids do to Hondas... ..dunno :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Having used them for years, I respectfully feel otherwise. Here are the vehicles that I used Castrol Import after the warranty was over:

2006 Honda Pilot 124, 000 miles
2008 Acura TL Type S 347, 000 miles( Yes the mileage is correct)
2010 Honda Ridgeline 139,000 miles
2011 Honda Pilot 119,000 miles

All are original transmissions with zero issues.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Having used them for years, I respectfully feel otherwise. Here are the vehicles that I used Castrol Import after the warranty was over:

2006 Honda Pilot 124, 000 miles
2008 Acura TL Type S 347, 000 miles( Yes the mileage is correct)
2010 Honda Ridgeline 139,000 miles
2011 Honda Pilot 119,000 miles

All are original transmissions with zero issues.
Castrol is the keyword here :) I use Castrol myself on my GM's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts