Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I own a 2019 Pilot all-wheel-drive purchased new. Have 29,700+ miles on it and the service reminder appeared on my display with following code: A123.
Called dealership and they say I need a transmission fluid flush every 30k miles. I only use the car for day to day commuting...no towing or driving in abnormal conditions. Do I really need a tranny fluid flush every 30k miles or can it wait. I’ve owned a Corolla and did a drain and refill every 30k miles. I have always understood that a complete flush is done around 50k miles (not when car has a lot more miles because a flush can actually dislodge debris and kill the tranny) and total flush is a one time thing since the fluid lasts a long time anyway. Do I need to get it done & if so, how much should it cost (approx). Thank you

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
I’m going to go out on a limb and -- assuming it's the same as previous years of Pilots and so Honda does not recommend an ATF flush, only ever drain & fills -- posit that your dealer is either incompetent, crooked or both.

I would actually be somewhat relieved to be proven wrong. It might have changed for your model year.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
168 Posts
The six speed is easy. About three qrts comes out. Add three qrts. Start it up. Shift through the gears a few times. Rev it a little bit then let it idle. Wait till the fans kick on. Shut it off and check the level. I’ve done it twice now, 20K on the pilot. Will do it again before 30K is up.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
ZF 9 speed? The genuine Honda fluid for a ZF 9 speed costs $30 to $50 per quart depending on where you buy it. There won’t be any “flushing until the fluid looks new” at any place you go to no matter what they might tell you. A gravity drain and fill / one third rolling fluid refresh is the only kind of service that should be done to these anyhow. My vote would be every 20k to 30k miles regardless what the algorithm says. You’ll get about 3.5 quarts refreshed every drain and fill.

The dealer price for this is ridiculous because it involves removing the level check plug at about 112 degrees F (no dipstick) after cycling the trans. through the gears. It’s designed to be intimidating for the DIY people. You’d think the dealer was replacing the transmission fluid in the Space Shuttle for what they want to charge you for this.
6 speed or 9 speed?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Yea if its the 9 speed I highly advise against doing it yourself. If you can afford the price of the vehicle you can afford giving the dealer or your trusted mechanic $300ish every few years to make sure your transmission lasts a long time.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
Hello everyone, I own a 2019 Pilot all-wheel-drive purchased new. Have 29,700+ miles on it and the service reminder appeared on my display with following code: A123.
Called dealership and they say I need a transmission fluid flush every 30k miles. Do I really need a tranny fluid flush every 30k miles or can it wait.
Transmission (and transfer case) fluid service whenever indicated by the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
120 Posts
they probably say "flush" because the advertised prices for "flushes" are likely quite a bit higher than "drain three quarts of $10 fluid and replace", so wise comparison shoppers think they did OK when they get tapped $100 to replace nice clear fluid every 30K

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
204 Posts
what keeps a Honda reliable is the recommended fluid change intervals. take care of your vehicle and it will take care of you. I do 30k miles on my two vehicles and they shift great and smooth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for replies. My Pilot is a 6-speed automatic. My previous 2 vehicles only got a drain and refill every 30k miles and they did fine. An actual flush every 30k miles seemed excessive, supposedly tranny fluid is supposed to last a while. This was first time I was told to get a complete tranny flush every 30k miles, so was wondering.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Called dealership and they say I need a transmission fluid flush every 30k miles. I only use the car for day to day commuting...no towing or driving in abnormal conditions. Do I really need a tranny fluid flush every 30k miles or can it wait. I’ve owned a Corolla and did a drain and refill every 30k miles. I have always understood that a complete flush is done around 50k miles (not when car has a lot more miles because a flush can actually dislodge debris and kill the tranny) and total flush is a one time thing since the fluid lasts a long time anyway. Do I need to get it done & if so, how much should it cost (approx). Thank you
Hey, is this a common occurrence? I thought the ATF interval was 60K? I have 2019 Touring myself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, is this a common occurrence? I thought the ATF interval was 60K? I have 2019 Touring myself.
Exactly, I understood the complete tranny flush to occur at 60k miles and that’s it (one and done)......or else drain and refills every 30k miles

·
Registered
401 Posts
The 9-speed first ATF change seems to be 60K miles. The 6-speed is indicated at 30K. If you have the 6-speed and no transmission cooler you're probably wise to do more frequently than a single drain and fill ever 30K.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Exactly, I understood the complete tranny flush to occur at 60k miles and that’s it (one and done)......or else drain and refills every 30k miles
Per Honda maintenance procedures a "Flush" is 3x ATF drain and fill procedures with some driving/shifting in between each one. You stealership probably uses the phrase "flush" becuase that's what people will respond to, but a flush is never necessary for our Pilots unless as part of a transmission repair, not as scheduled recurring maintenance. The maintenance minder (if used properly) will indicate a transmission fluid change (1x drain and fill) every 30K miles for the 6-speed, or at 60k miles for the 9-speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Per Honda maintenance procedures a "Flush" is 3x ATF drain and fill procedures with some driving/shifting in between each one. You stealership probably uses the phrase "flush" becuase that's what people will respond to, but a flush is never necessary for our Pilots unless as part of a transmission repair, not as scheduled recurring maintenance. The maintenance minder (if used properly) will indicate a transmission fluid change (1x drain and fill) every 30K miles for the 6-speed, or at 60k miles for the 9-speed.
Thank you for explanation! Makes a lot more sense now. It looks like there’s a lot of confusion because the term “flush” is not explained properly. I will ask them exactly what they’re going to do. I know that full flushes are controversial especially when the vehicle is hooked up to that machine that forces the old fluid out, cause it has to be done properly. Multiple successive drain and refills done at the same time is supposed to be a lot more safe for replacing all the fluid. At least I know now that all I need is 1x drain and refill....which is what I’ve always done for my past vehicles at 30k. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
What ATF fluid are people using???

I was thinking of doing my 9 speed around 30k just to be on the side of caution.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
What ATF fluid are people using???

I was thinking of doing my 9 speed around 30k just to be on the side of caution.
Are you going to be the first documented case of changing to an aftermarket ATF in a 9-speed?

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
If the VCM is disabled, I might be comfortable going 30k on an ATF drain and fill on a 6-speed. I'd still watch it close.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts