Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while driving are 2005 Pilot EX I lost all power as if the suv was in neutral. I shifted to next gear and never felt a change (still felt like neutral). Had it towed to local shop and noticed ATF pouring out underneath as suv tilted forward. Shop was closed and took advantage to check coolant and ATF- no pink milkshake in coolant checking at cap and reservoir that I could determine. ATF dipstick showed empty. Plenty ATF under neath pilot. Hoping no damage and if lucky its just the transmission connection corrosion at the radiator people have discussed on forum? Do you think Transmission is toast(just over 214000 miles or is their a failsafe that would disengage the transmission once fluid is lost?
All ideas are WELCOMED!!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Happened to my 2005 Pilot (140k miles), too just this summer (June). I was able to coaxed it to the side of the road a block away where I was stuck at the main intersection of the town at rush hour, lol! There, it remained immobile (was lucky to drive it where I waited for the tow truck for almost an hour). As I tried to move it further (I was still parked awkwardly, almost still blocking street), the Pilot would no longer moved, then I noticed the puddle of transmission fluid (I didn't have any idea what's going on at that time). I immediately thought of the infamous radiator/transmission fluid leak/mixing. I almost fainted, lol! My wife thought I was in a trance, lol (I was actually thinking of the grave consequence and the new cost it will require--just spent big bucks updating it--new tires, brakes, air-conditioning, alternator, starter, etc). After getting it towed home (not to local shop) and thought of donating it, I started looking from top and underneath and found that there was no mixing of coolant and transmission fluid (no strawberry milk shake of death!). Hope suddenly sprung! As I proceeded to remove the radiator, I found out the source of the leak--it was the transmission line/hose coming from underneath the radiator. The leak happened from the outside (had it happened from inside, the mixing of coolant and transmission fluids would have taken place!!). Long story short, after failing to remove the radiator due to rusted bolts, I had it towed to a local shop where they installed the radiator that I ordered from amazon (Denso radiator), the Pilot is back to life! You also want to have the thermostat (Aisin) replaced now to save you time and money. I just replaced it this morning due to CEL that appeared after driving it for almost a month. Two gallons of coolant will do. Also 12 quarts of Honda transmission fluids to "flush" it, just to be sure ( I did the "flushing"--change 3-4 times. I drove a few miles in between changes). All from Amazon.com. Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
When Beato talks about flushing the ATF, he is talking about doing several drain and fill procedures, changing out about 3 1/2 quarts at a time. A full power flush isn't recommended.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full power flush? Does that mean using pressure as opposed to gravity?

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happened to my 2005 Pilot (140k miles), too just this summer (June). I was able to coaxed it to the side of the road a block away where I was stuck at the main intersection of the town at rush hour, lol! There, it remained immobile (was lucky to drive it where I waited for the tow truck for almost an hour). As I tried to move it further (I was still parked awkwardly, almost still blocking street), the Pilot would no longer moved, then I noticed the puddle of transmission fluid (I didn't have any idea what's going on at that time). I immediately thought of the infamous radiator/transmission fluid leak/mixing. I almost fainted, lol! My wife thought I was in a trance, lol (I was actually thinking of the grave consequence and the new cost it will require--just spent big bucks updating it--new tires, brakes, air-conditioning, alternator, starter, etc). After getting it towed home (not to local shop) and thought of donating it, I started looking from top and underneath and found that there was no mixing of coolant and transmission fluid (no strawberry milk shake of death!). Hope suddenly sprung! As I proceeded to remove the radiator, I found out the source of the leak--it was the transmission line/hose coming from underneath the radiator. The leak happened from the outside (had it happened from inside, the mixing of coolant and transmission fluids would have taken place!!). Long story short, after failing to remove the radiator due to rusted bolts, I had it towed to a local shop where they installed the radiator that I ordered from amazon (Denso radiator), the Pilot is back to life! You also want to have the thermostat (Aisin) replaced now to save you time and money. I just replaced it this morning due to CEL that appeared after driving it for almost a month. Two gallons of coolant will do. Also 12 quarts of Honda transmission fluids to "flush" it, just to be sure ( I did the "flushing"--change 3-4 times. I drove a few miles in between changes). All from Amazon.com. Thanks.
So yours felt like neutral too? Also once placed in park on a slight incline she held position Sounds like yours locked up briefly?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
If you don’t have a machine hooked up when you’re draining the tranny then you’re doing it the way Honda corporate, per the user manual, recommends.

Good to hear you don’t have the pink milkshake. Bad news is you will be replacing the radiator, coolant, and tranny fluid to determine if the tranny survived. Hopefully it did.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,955 Posts
Since you’ll be replacing the radiator you might consider the replacing the coolant hoses and thermostat while you’re in there.
If you’re handy you can do this job yourself. It took me seven hours, it was my first time doing something this complex, since I was taking my sweet time.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don’t have a machine hooked up when you’re draining the tranny then you’re doing it the way Honda corporate, per the user manual, recommends.

Good to hear you don’t have the pink milkshake. Bad news is you will be replacing the radiator, coolant, and tranny fluid to determine if the tranny survived. Hopefully it did.
Thank You!!! Original 2005 radiator so needed anyway from what i read

·
Registered
267 Posts
So yours felt like neutral too? Also once placed in park on a slight incline she held position Sounds like yours locked up briefly?
There was still transmission fluid left when I forced it to move from where it initially got stuck. But after that, the fluids leaked dome more as I tried to move it further. Then it settled on the side of the road and wouldn't budge an inch any longer even after I tried it. The transmission went on a protective mode (this, I found out later here). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since you’ll be replacing the radiator you might consider the replacing the coolant hoses and thermostat while you’re in there.
If you’re handy you can do this job yourself. It took me seven hours, it was my first time doing something this complex, since I was taking my sweet time.
Great ideas!! Just last night I was looking at the hoses, looked ok and pliable, but I guess that could be deceptive being 14 yrs old
Thanks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts