Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When changing the trans fluid for my 2012 Pilot I drain, then do the following to get an additional quart out of the torque converter: start engine, move shifter to drive, neutral, reverse, park, then turn off engine - total time about 5 seconds. Can I harm the tc or transmission using this method?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Why risk it?

If you really want to get more than the normal drain and fill look into pulling the trans fluid cooler lines and doing a complete fluid swap by placing the supply (from the transmission to the cooler) in an empty bucket and the return (from the cooler to the transmission) in a bucket filled with fresh fluid. Turn the vehicle on and let the transmission pump out old and suck in new fluid until new fluid comes out of your supply line. Attach clear tubing to the lines so you can see when the fluid is fresh fluid coming out.

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
When changing the trans fluid for my 2012 Pilot I drain, then do the following to get an additional quart out of the torque converter: start engine, move shifter to drive, neutral, reverse, park, then turn off engine - total time about 5 seconds. Can I harm the tc or transmission using this method?
Thanks
That's interesting. I don't believe the transmission can actually ingauge without fluid in the pan. My GUESS is that it wouldn't hurt.
You can get a little more out by jacking up the rear drivers side.

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
Why risk it?

If you really want to get more than the normal drain and fill look into pulling the trans fluid cooler lines and doing a complete fluid swap by placing the supply (from the transmission to the cooler) in an empty bucket and the return (from the cooler to the transmission) in a bucket filled with fresh fluid. Turn the vehicle on and let the transmission pump out old and suck in new fluid until new fluid comes out of your supply line. Attach clear tubing to the lines so you can see when the fluid is fresh fluid coming out.
But but how would I clean my magnet drain plug? ?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
But but how would I clean my magnet drain plug? ?
Fair enough... the technical procedure I've seen is to either do the traditional drain plug removal/clean or pan drop/filter replacement before the fluid exchange portion.

-So drain as normal via drain plug
-Clean and reinstall
-Replace approximately the same amount of fluid
-Pull trans cooler lines, supply in empty bucket and return in bucket filled with new fluid
-Run until new fluid comes out of the supply
-Button everything back up
-Check fluid and add/remove fluid per normal procedures (so you may need a pump if you have to much in it, I have a Topsider from doing my mom's Jeep)

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
Fair enough... the technical procedure I've seen is to either do the traditional drain plug removal/clean or pan drop/filter replacement before the fluid exchange portion.

-So drain as normal via drain plug
-Clean and reinstall
-Replace approximately the same amount of fluid
-Pull trans cooler lines, supply in empty bucket and return in bucket filled with new fluid
-Run until new fluid comes out of the supply
-Button everything back up
-Check fluid and add/remove fluid per normal procedures (so you may need a pump if you have to much in it, I have a Topsider from doing my mom's Jeep)
You could also Grease Monkey it. Pull the plug, stick your finger in the hole while somebody else cleans the plug, then reinsert. LOL

Don't Forget Gloves and Goggles, Absorbent pads, speedy dry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did the flush 2 time till now, on the strait surface without the jack. Big difference on how the trans working now.
But for drain don't try to empty more than usually because anyway you can't take out completely.
In my opinion don't worth the effort. If you do the flush and refill 2 time its like almost completely new fluid.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I did the flush 2 time till now, on the strait surface without the jack. Big difference on how the trans working now.
But for drain don't try to empty more than usually because anyway you can't take out completely.
In my opinion don't worth the effort. If you do the flush and refill 2 time its like almost completely new fluid.
Yea you can do the math at how much you get out of a drain and fill vs. the overall capacity to see how many changes to do, on Hondas typically 3 drain and fills gets you over 90% new fluid.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes. Right. 2 times = approx. 7.5 l. The total is almost 9 l but don't forget that is already 9 years old car.
So, my opinion 2 times is OK. In my situation I can do the 3 time also because I drive the car
maybe 6 to 8000 miles per year and only in hot condition but anyway when is enough? I feel
already the change in the way that the transmission work. No shocks and soft changing of gears.
Some other people from this forum say that they flush the fluid every 2 oil changes. Their choice.
First time I flush it at 90000 miles... second time one week later. When I buy it, the car have 89500...
For me its OK 2 times. But this is me...

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I change the transmission fluid every 25-30k on all of my vehicles. Generally that is sooner than the "severe service" on the vehicles so I feel comfortable with that number.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I base my maintenance on the severe level i average 150 miles a day 99 % is highway driving so I make sure I swap the fluid at least every 25-30 K

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,275 Posts
Every second oil change with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Shifts great and cheap insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts