Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an 06 Pilot EX-L 4wd with 170k. All the maintenance was done by Honda up to this point (including the big 100k) and the shop I bought it from did the majority of what is needed for the 200k. All that's left is fluid changes now.

First, I'm looking to change the transmission fluid, but when shopping for it on Amazon it is saying the fluid(DW-1) doesn't fit the vehicle. What is the correct fluid?

TLDR: 06 Pilot EX-L 4wd; what transmission fluid should I be getting? DW-1 says not for all wheel drive.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
It is, but you might want to go with a popular favorite on this forum, Valvoline Maxlife ATF at Walmart.

Do a forum search for it and pour yourself a big, delicious cup or glass of your favorite beverage. :)

And welcome to the forum. Post pics of your new acquisition, inside and out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I buy my DW-1 either on Amazon or at the dealer. It depends on who is offering the best price.

If there is nothing wrong with the way your transmission shifts, you can stick with DW-1. Other people on this forum have found Valvoline Maxlife to fix problems that were occurring. Of course Honda recommends sticking with their fluid and I'm inclined to believe them.

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

When you get around to changing the rear differential fluid, Honda/Acura VTM-4 is the fluid to use. You won’t run into any debate on this forum for this fluid.😁

Check your owners manual for the types of fluid to use. For the Gen 1 Pilot’s tranny DW-1 is Honda’s recommendation and what I have been using since the first change on my wife’s 2005. Others have had good results with MaxLife.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The ATF originally specified for your 2006 was Honda Z-1. This is no longer available, and was superceded in 2012 by DW-1. There are several alternative ATF brands that are designed to be compatible in the Honda transmission. Lots of members here like Valvoline Maxlife synthetic. Redline and Castrol are a couple of other brands. If you want to go into depth on the subject, check out Bob is the oil guy website, and dig deep!

·
Registered
2005 Pilot LX
2,516 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,487 Posts
The ATF originally specified for your 2006 was Honda Z-1. This is no longer available, and was superceded in 2012 by DW-1. There are several alternative ATF brands that are designed to be compatible in the Honda transmission. Lots of members here like Valvoline Maxlife synthetic. Redline and Castrol are a couple of other brands. If you want to go into depth on the subject, check out Bob is the oil guy website, and dig deep!
Thanks for the update. I never owned a Gen 1 and was not aware that Z-1 was replaced. My 2013 Pilot took DW-1.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor and switch your ATF to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.
It's cheaper and is readily found at Wal-Mart.
DW-1 is not Full Synthetic and you gain nothing by over paying for this poorly formulated inconsistent blend.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor and switch your ATF to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife.
It's cheaper and is readily found at Wal-Mart.
DW-1 is not Full Synthetic and you gain nothing by over paying for this poorly formulated inconsistent blend.
Just because MaxLife is something you use doesn't mean DW-1 is bad. I am unsure how the fluid got so bad in your Pilot but how is it possible that Honda would knowingly use a fluid that destroys transmissions? They wouldn't. Multiple Pilots, Accords and Odysseys have used DW-1 and had no problems surpassing 200k with the same transmissions. It's fine to recommend a fluid but your experience doesn't automatically make one thing worse than the other.

I try to do a drain and fill once every year. I buy 4 quarts and spend $34 at the Honda dealer. I don't need to save money. I guess if you have tons of cars the cost adds up, but if you have a couple of cars the savings is not worth it. Honda recommends DW-1 and says that other fluids can cause harsher (more crisp) shifts which is what Valvoline MaxLife does.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Just because MaxLife is something you use doesn't mean DW-1 is bad. I am unsure how the fluid got so bad in your Pilot but how is it possible that Honda would knowingly use a fluid that destroys transmissions? They wouldn't. Multiple Pilots, Accords and Odysseys have used DW-1 and had no problems surpassing 200k with the same transmissions. It's fine to recommend a fluid but your experience doesn't automatically make one thing worse than the other.

I try to do a drain and fill once every year. I buy 4 quarts and spend $34 at the Honda dealer. I don't need to save money. I guess if you have tons of cars the cost adds up, but if you have a couple of cars the savings is not worth it. Honda recommends DW-1 and says that other fluids can cause harsher (more crisp) shifts which is what Valvoline MaxLife does.
I can depend on Full Synthetic MaxLife to get me 2 years or 30k miles, at under $19 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Without the fear of buying fake stuff off the internet or making a special trip to the dealership on a product that has failed many Honda owners. DW-1 can't take the heat. Here's the blackend proof after 2 years and 20k miles.

Full Synthetic just protects better, period. Many will agree that MaxLife has revived their old sluggish transmission.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I actually investigated getting this product. This is Ravenol full synthetic version of DW-1. Very expensive to get here in the states. This not Honda DW-1.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
You said that "DW-1 is not Full Synthetic". You didn't specify Honda DW-1. Nor did you mention any price constraint.
I think it was understood that we were talking about Dealership non-synthetic DW-1.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can depend on Full Synthetic MaxLife to get me 2 years or 30k miles, at under $19 a gallon at Wal-Mart. Without the fear of buying fake stuff off the internet or making a special trip to the dealership on a product that has failed many Honda owners. DW-1 can't take the heat. Here's the blackend proof after 2 years and 20k miles.
View attachment 137327
Full Synthetic just protects better, period. Many will agree that MaxLife has revived their old sluggish transmission.
You bought a wrecked car. It could have had defective transmission parts or damage could have been a result of the wreck. Majority of owners use DW-1 because they don't do their own maintenance and have no issues. Everyone use whatever fluid you want, but do your research and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
To the OP, it sounds like you are on the right track and either DW-1 or MaxLife will suit you just fine. I like having a quality, full synthetic and I can also use it in another vehicle in my fleet so I use MaxLife. As is the same issue with most OEM fluids, there are multiple manufacturers and some make a better fluid than others, so I prefer to have a little more control. There aren't many who make Dex VI for the Traverse but Valvoline does so I use that over the AC Delco fluid for the same reasons.

If I had one of these newfangled 8, 9 or 10 speeds that requires urine from Greek Gods to run properly, I'd be more inclined to stick with the factory fluid.

Reactions: plplplpl and aggrex
1 - 20 of 63 Posts