Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2008 Pilot with 114,000 miles. I am going to change the differential fluid. I am also planning on draining and filling the transmission fluid.

I have heard that if a vehicle has not routinely had the tranny fluid changed, changing it after 100,000 miles could cause a catastrophic failure. I would appreciate any thoughts.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
If you're fairly convinced it hasn't been changed in over 100,000 miles, you might want to go with a 3x drain & fill (not flush), driving it a bit between each. Use OEM, Redline or Valvoline Maxlife ATF, whichever you prefer.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I recently bought a 2008 Pilot with 114,000 miles. I am going to change the differential fluid. I am also planning on draining and filling the transmission fluid.

I have heard that if a vehicle has not routinely had the tranny fluid changed, changing it after 100,000 miles could cause a catastrophic failure. I would appreciate any thoughts.
With only 114,000 miles, your Pilot should have many miles left if you maintain it. Clean ATF is particularly important for HONDA 5 and 6 speed transmissions. With regular fluid changes, they can last for 200k miles or more.
The story about ATF change causing transmission failure is a myth. If the transmission has been completely neglected and is about to fail, dirty fluid won't keep it alive, and clean fluid isn't the cause of failure.
If your transmission is shifting ok now, regular ATF changes will help keep it that way. Plplplpl above mentions 3 good choices for ATF brands to use. The drain and fill procedure is recommended by Honda, power flushes are not recommended.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,934 Posts
For the differential fluid stick with VTM-4 fluid from Honda or Acura. Others have reported chattering when they used other fluids; resolved when changing back to VTM-4.

Reactions: can
1 - 5 of 5 Posts