Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Honda Pilot elite with the 9 speed automatic transmission. I changed the fluid at $35k and guess I got a good price at the time, around $200. I am now at 70k so figured it is time to change again. I called the dealership and they are looking at $500. Apparently, the first time they did it, they did not account for the significant cost of the fluid. I hear the fluid is expensive but wow.

My question is what should be the change interval for the transmission fluid with the 9 speed. I have a hard time paying $500 every 2 years as we drive around 18k miles per year.

Appreciate everyones thoughts. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Would you consider a DIY?
Save yourself $300+

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Can the 9 spd also use Valvoline Max Life ATF, like so many of us do on the 5 and 6 spd?

It's really not that hard to do yourself.

A d&f would cost just under $18- buy a gallon of it at Walmart.

I do realize some city/high rise/apartment dwellers can't even change their oil, or ATF where they live. Or may not want to, and I can understand that to.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Can the 9 spd also use Valvoline Max Life ATF, like so many of us do on the 5 and 6 spd?

It's really not that hard to do yourself.

A d&f would cost just under $18- buy a gallon of it at Walmart.

I do realize some city/high rise/apartment dwellers can't even change their oil, or ATF where they live. Or may not want to, and I can understand that to.
Valvoline claims that MaxLife ATF is safe for use as a substitute for Honda 3.1 ATF.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Looks like an easy DIY.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't think about doing it myself. I can review how to do it and see if that is an option.

bottom line is 35k a good time to change each time or some other number?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I didn't think about doing it myself. I can review how to do it and see if that is an option.

The 9 speed calls for changing it every 60k miles, but there's no harm in changing it earlier. I'm pretty sure the fluid used to be more expensive and it got cheaper, but I may be wrong. Seems like Honda ATF is going to be as precious as gold one day if it actually is getting more expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if it is 60k and I may not DIY, I will probably wait then as there is no need to change this early and incur significant expense.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts

Just wanted to also say that my posting of the info on Valvoline MaxLife ATF was not a recommendation, if you decide to DIY. I don't own a 9-speed or know anyone who has used it for your application. Many are using and are happy with MaxLife in 5 and 6 speed transmissions. I'm sure many people would be interested in your results if you did use MaxLife since a 1 gallon jug is $18 at Wal-Mart versus $100 (more less) for Honda 3.1 ATF.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
577 Posts
Looks like an easy DIY.
Thanks for sharing!!!!

The only odd thing is they say to "Install a new drain plug" after removing it.

Is anyone actually replacing the drain plug every time they change the fluid?
Based on how I read the instructions that's how I interpreted it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!!!

The only odd thing is they say to "Install a new drain plug" after removing it.

Is anyone actually replacing the drain plug every time they change the fluid?
Based on how I read the instructions that's how I interpreted it.

Thanks.
It's interesting they want you to replace the whole plug and not just a crush washer. I know that the ZF transmission on my BMW has a recessed (very unique) O ring embedded in the plug. So you must replace the whole thing.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
318 Posts
The draining and filling part is straight forward, what made me not do it myself as a DIYer was measuring the oil Temperature and buying the tool made no sense for an exercise I will do once every 3 years as I had it done once since owning the car for the past 5 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts