Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
240 Posts
This thread is only about transmission fluid additives.
hey, you're the one promoting their warranty as a reason to choose their products over others that exist on the market :sneaky:
I have used BG 44k in the past based on my dad's recommendation and never noticed any difference for better or worse. I've found that if a company has to resort to offering warranties that come along with the products or services they're selling, it's mainly a marketing technique to boost sales and nothing more.

also, where can I get that old man sign for my front yard? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
hey, you're the one promoting their warranty as a reason to choose their products over others that exist on the market :sneaky:
I have used BG 44k in the past based on my dad's recommendation and never noticed any difference for better or worse. I've found that if a company has to resort to offering warranties that come along with the products or services they're selling, it's mainly a marketing technique to boost sales and nothing more.
So, you would prefer to buy products that come without a warranty?

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
not the point, but, this has gotten way off topic enough so, yeah, shake on it
You still seem to be questioning the integrity and performance of people and products from a company based in Wichita KS.
Perhaps @Daltongang would be able to allay your concerns and dispel your doubts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I love the fact that BG is so confident in their products that they're willing to pay to fix parts of your vehicle if you agree to pay for their authorized service centers to do maintenance work on your vehicle at set intervals. You SOLD the warranty in your post responding to snake oil as an apparent reason why you use BG services. I simply stated an obvious point of doing the math on the money spent on those services for the coverage. BG is in the market of selling additives, I don't care if those additives are at the local auto parts store OTC or being administered in the service bay at the local Honda dealership. Additives have one of two jobs, attempt to prevent future problems or attempt to fix existing problems. I am in the camp of believing basic fluid change intervals are perfectly fine for most vehicles because those fluids already contain additives that are meant to prevent problems from ever occurring.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
I love the fact that BG is so confident in their products that they're willing to pay to fix parts of your vehicle if you agree to pay for their authorized service centers to do maintenance work on your vehicle at set intervals. You SOLD the warranty in your post responding to snake oil as an apparent reason why you use BG services.
I "use" BG services because the local Honda dealer includes them in their transmission fluid (and brake fluid) services.
I neither seek them out nor insist on them - nor choose to opt out from them.
The warranty - whatever its value - just happens to come along with them.
The transmission in my Pilot has been shifting fine for almost 20 years with Honda fluid plus whichever BG additive the dealer includes with their service.
Would it have performed as well without the additive?
Has anyone else encountered transmission problems using only Honda ATF?
Has anyone sought out a different ATF to use in their Pilot?

·
Registered
240 Posts
that's the testimony that was needed several posts ago. appreciate the background history. I was going to ask my local dealer about doing the brake fluid on both my vehicles and wonder if they will try to sell me any BG services.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I "use" BG services because the local Honda dealer includes them in their transmission fluid (and brake fluid) services.
The transmission in my Pilot has been shifting fine for almost 20 years with Honda fluid plus whichever BG additive the dealer includes with their service.
There are pretty consistent posts that owners use either Honda or Valvoline Max Life. My general observation, if you very regularly change the fluid the transmission will generally last a long time with either product. What's difficult to sort out is scientific/testing evidence that the additive is working or not.

My 03 is at 230K with drain and fill every other oil change, using only Honda fluid, it runs fine. I have nothing against Valvoline or the additive your dealership is using, most importantly your servicing your car regularly.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I just wonder if the dealership used a BG ATF back flush on this fellow Piloteers 2008.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
I just wonder if the dealership used a BG ATF back flush on this fellow Piloteers 2008.
I did ask, but the OP never responded.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,733 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,733 Posts
Ever have a teacher who called on only the students that didn't raise their hand?
Good way to pry them off social media during class.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ super fancy seats
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This produces a real dilemma for me.

On the one hand, this forum has succeeded in swaying Mikey @xGS to the benefits of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. And it certainly has proven excellent in my PIlot's transmission for half a decade now. Several others on this forum can attest to their satisfaction as well.

On the other hand, I would totally trust ATP AT-203 to do what it claims, given my resounding satisfaction and ringing endorsement of ATP AT-205.

Pending Scotty discovering it and posting an equally ringing endorsement of the AT-203 as he does for the AT-205 :), I would still very much try if I were unsatisfied with the results of a 3x drain & fill with Maxlife ATF, particularly since you mention the car had been in storage for years.
Thanks, I did the 1st drain & fill with Honda fluid and drove about 20 miles and the transmission had no issues. It was super smooth. I hope this keeps up. I have only driven around 60 miles since I got the car. on the way to the dealership for recall work I got the shudder around 35mph. Dealer did a software update that has to do with transmission timing. After that no more shudder there but once it shuddered at about 40mph. I got a bang at the back a few times while creeping to a stop and a couple times while creeping it dropped into neutral so I put it tn park and back to drive. This has not happened again so far after the 1st change and the shifts have been on time and smooth.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
I'd never put anything else in a 2005-2015 5-speed Honda transmission but Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It's proven to do what it says on the back of the bottle. My 2012 Crosstour has logged 170k miles on VML and have never replaced a single transmission part or had any trouble codes related to the transmission. That says a lot.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts