Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2003 Pilot and am learning. I came across
this additive. Does anyone have an opinion? would this be beneficial if you just need to top off a little trans fluid? maybe 1 or 2 oz. I don't know when the fluid was changed last. The car was in storage for years. The dealer did the software update for the torque converter timing so I'm assuming he checked the fluid level. I looked but while running and it was just a little below the line. I will have to check again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have drained and fill my 03 Honda Pilot transmission fluid every other oil change since buying it with 24k miles. I use Honda trans fluid, others use Valvoline Max Life. I am at 230,000 miles and this is the only transmission maintenance to date. If you want to replace most of the fluid, do 3 drain and fills with operation between the 3 fluid changes.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,613 Posts
This produces a real dilemma for me.

On the one hand, this forum has succeeded in swaying Mikey @xGS to the benefits of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. And it certainly has proven excellent in my PIlot's transmission for half a decade now. Several others on this forum can attest to their satisfaction as well.

On the other hand, I would totally trust ATP AT-203 to do what it claims, given my resounding satisfaction and ringing endorsement of ATP AT-205.

Pending Scotty discovering it and posting an equally ringing endorsement of the AT-203 as he does for the AT-205 :), I would still very much try if I were unsatisfied with the results of a 3x drain & fill with Maxlife ATF, particularly since you mention the car had been in storage for years.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,461 Posts
I have drained and fill my 03 Honda Pilot transmission fluid every other oil change since buying it with 24k miles. I use Honda trans fluid, others use Valvoline Max Life. I am at 230,000 miles and this is the only transmission maintenance to date. If you want to replace most of the fluid, do 3 drain and fills with operation between the 3 fluid changes.
But how can that be?! Honda created DW-1 to kill every Honda transmission forcing everyone to buy new Hondas with VCM. The only way to protect yourself is to use Valvoline MaxLife ATF!!!!

Just kidding. Glad to hear your transmission has treated you well!

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
On the one hand, this forum has succeeded in swaying Mikey @xGS to the benefits of Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Not for my Pilot, it hasn't.
My Pilot's transmission is still running on a secret blend of Z1 and DW-1 fortified with a BG additive.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,148 Posts
I used Honda brand, Redline D4, Maxlife.
Changed every 15k is the key to longevity.
additives aren’t necessary with the right fluid.

Imho, Redline was the best of all. But $$$$&&

·
Registered
9,613 Posts
fortified with a BG additive.
How is it a respected, longtime member of this forum can flog snake oil like that?
I smell a kickback check in the mail.

·
Registered
9,613 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
232 Posts
100% coverage (Plan 1): First BG service before 50,000 miles (80,000 km)
50% coverage (Plan 2): First BG service between 50,001–75,000 miles (80,001–120,000 km)

*For gasoline vehicles with 75,001–125,000 miles (120,001–200,000 km): 50% coverage after the BG Dynamic Engine Restoration Service.

please note that this does not apply to their products that you purchase on your own and dump into your vehicles fluid reservoir or tank.

This Plan is an added benefit when qualified BG services are purchased. All services must be performed by a professional technician at a licensed service center using an approved BG maintenance procedure with proper BG products and equipment.

so yeah... by the time you spend all that time and money on your investment, make note how how much their "maximum" reimbursement actually is, not saying they will approve you up to the maximum amount either once they realize system failure was due to neglect or being involved in an accident instead of failure due to the fluid itself.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
please note that this does not apply to their products that you purchase on your own and dump into your vehicles fluid reservoir or tank.

This Plan is an added benefit when qualified BG services are purchased. All services must be performed by a professional technician at a licensed service center using an approved BG maintenance procedure with proper BG products and equipment.
I do the purchasing and the professional service technician at the Honda dealer does the installation at the licensed Honda dealer service center using an approved BG maintenance procedure with proper BG products and equipment.
Please note that it was never stated that BG products were available OTC for the DIY (dump it yourself) crowd.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I wouldn't put it an additive unless there was a problem and I'm trying to limp it along before a rebuild. Then I know there's a problem and I need to start making plans instead of masking it right away and not knowing until it fails.

I do advise putting in fresh, high quality fluid and draining the old fluid. That's always advisable to keep the ATF performing like it should which in turn keeps the transmission from wearing and needing those additives.

Reactions: road2cycle

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not all additives are meant to mask problems although most are marketed so people who haven't the funds to do the proper repairs. Also was just trying to help people understand the BG warranty coverage isn't all it's cracked up to be.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What is the BG warranty coverage supposedly "cracked up to be"?
If you read the fine print some of those services need be performed every 10k miles in order to keep qualified for coverage. Other services are 15k and 30k so not as bad but how much money would need be spent on a vehicle that would otherwise probably last just as long with regular fluid changes?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
If you read the fine print some of those services need be performed every 10k miles in order to keep qualified for coverage. Other services are 15k and 30k so not as bad but how much money would need be spent on a vehicle that would otherwise probably last just as long with regular fluid changes?
I've learned that arguing with our fellow Mid-Atlantian, @xGS is kind of like arguing with your ass... you'll get a response each time but you'll never be able to reason with it. Old man syndrome. And I mean that with all of the respect and adoration that an OG member deserves.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
The BG service interval for transmission fluid is 30K miles - same as what Honda specifies.
This thread is only about transmission fluid additives.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts