Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a washer on one of my transmission fittings on the radiator is pretty rusty on my 2015. I thought this issue was resolved by Honda. I was pretty ticked when i saw it. I did a search and didn't find any other posts with this issue for 12-15's. You guys think this one is bad should i take it in or just leave it and monitor it?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If you'd replaced this washer with the same size aluminum washer it would last forever. Otherwise it would rust further, the rust would expand and pull the fitting out of the thread, destroying it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand the washers are not replaceable, the whole radiator must be replaced. Any opinions on this one, bad take it to shop or not too bad, keep eye on it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
As long as the rust is not expanding, they should be fine. Maybe apply rustproofing (not Rustcheck though, it vanishes too quickly).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks like a copper crush washer, even if it’s steel and rusting it falls into the if it’s not broken don’t fix it category.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,957 Posts
I’ve definitely seen worse. Can’t remember if it was this forum or a link to the Ridgeline forum.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you saw it on the Ridgeline forum, there is a link to it posted on this site. I have a RL as well and changed out the radiator as mine were getting bad. Problem is if you wait till it's broken it can cause damage to the transmission.

Anyone else with a 2012 -2015 noticing their washers on the transmission line on the radiator rusty? Mine is the passenger side by the AC compressor, other side is fine. You will need an angle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just following up as approaching winter I am planning on hitting the fittings with some rustproofing any recommendations?

Anyone else notice their washers rusting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts