Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no dedicated transmission fluid fill port on a 2018 EX AWD, correct? Just the dip stick tube? Just wanted to confirm, since I think earlier model years had one. Thanks!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Don't bother with the fill port. Fill the trans using the dipstick tube with these two things...

Toro Funny Pipe - Toro 24 in. Funny Pipe Stick-53265 - The Home Depot
Oil Spout - Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Put the Toro pipe into the dipstick tube. Your Toro "fill pipe" will now be accessible from the top of the engine bay. Put the oil spout onto the bottle of trans fluid and pour it into the Toro fill pipe. The tip fits perfectly into the Toro pipe.

Zero mess. Quick and easy.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
OR, See the diagram, #13?
YES, there is a 'fill port'
It's 17mm, and because no antiseize was used, it's hard to get off.
Use tall extensions to get it just above the engine, use a breaker bar, ratchet and a pipe, what ever,
Break it loose. Use a hose (I use a piece of old garden hose) and a funnel on top of that.
Pour in required amount
Oh Zero Mess, makes it EASIER IMHO.
I recommend Valvoline Max Life ATF- ~$18 at Wally World (WalMart)

I did a thread on this with pictures, etc.

Or, you can use that soda straw dipstick hole, and take a long time. Your choice.

But there IS a filler port.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
The 6-speed dipstick tube is larger than previous models. Its not exactly ideal, but with my long Harbor Freight black funnel you can get it set in just good enough to fill. I set another wide open mouth funnel on top of the black funnel for easy pouring.
Yes, there is a drain fill bolt. Like past models.

Reactions: husbus and The Todd

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
It was easier for me just to use the dipstick tube. I just use some clear plastic tubing about 12"long that just fits in the tube and over the bottom of the funnel. Easier than using the fill plug which I couldn't even find anyway. The fill plug is pretty easy to use on the 2nd gen 5speeds though.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It was easier for me just to use the dipstick tube. I just use some clear plastic tubing about 12"long that just fits in the tube and over the bottom of the funnel. Easier than using the fill plug which I couldn't even find anyway. The fill plug is pretty easy to use on the 2nd gen 5speeds though.
Noted

I have a Gen 1, and Gen 2 Pilot. Both the 5 spds Trannies?

I have used the Trans. Filler bolt whole for both.

Both are SO easy to find it. You don't have to remove anything.
Look down from the top- where is is supposed to be- and there it is! LOL
IIRC, it's painted a different color too?
There are pictures posted floating around here somewheres.

I do understand the using the dipstick though, just a much smaller diameter hole/tube than the filler hole.
A few more minutes to put the new ATF in is really no big deal though.
I actually read some posts where people timed each way to do it! LOL
A few minutes different- big whoopie
And I understand that the ATF filler hole bolt usually IS A BEAR to get off.
I put a little anti seize on it, and don't tighten it that tight anyways- it's on top, it AIN'T goona leak!

Cheers

Reactions: husbus

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
If this diagram is for the Gen 3 tranny?
It looks as though the filler bolt hole is in the same place as Gen 1 and Gen 2?

#13 in the pic? Yes/NO?
That diagram was for a 2018. Yes item 13 in that diagram. The Gen 1 and Gen 2 are both on the top rear of the transmission case. 2009 shown below (item 12)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for the input! It's good to know that there's a fill port, but I ended up using the dipstick tube, since it seemed easier. That tube is rather large and filling up that way was much quicker than I expected. Probably wouldn't have poured it in any faster using the fill port.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Good job and welcome to the "dipstick club!" I was also surprised the first time I emptied a bottle via the dipstick tube, it is real fast. Almost like shotgunning beer, haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts