Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ha Ha! It does take a good sized breaker bar....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got that wacky contraption on my AT fill hole that's more like a metal fitting with a 90-degree bend that has a hose attached to it, and it'a all really stiff. I loosened the bracket that holds the fitting into the top of the transmission, but that fitting won't pull out because the hose is too firm and short and there's no slack. How do I remove it so I can fill using that hole? I've got an 04 EX-L, and my setup looks nothing like the video above or the pictures in the service manual. I heard this was some kind of factory retrofit on this model year but I can't find videos or instructions on how to remove this extra part.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, I've got breaker bars, and I had no trouble getting the bolt loose that holds the bracket on the housing, what I'm saying is that there's a metal tube thing already going into my transmission fill hole and I'd have to pull it out with my hand in order to pour the new fluid in there, but that fitting only lifts up about 1/4" inch and I can't remove it from the fill hole unless I disconnect the rubber hose from the fitting, however the rubber is pretty stiff (16 years old) and I'm afraid it'll not come loose easily, or not make a good seal later once it's reinstalled.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I've got that wacky contraption on my AT fill hole that's more like a metal fitting with a 90-degree bend that has a hose attached to it, and it'a all really stiff. I loosened the bracket that holds the fitting into the top of the transmission, but that fitting won't pull out because the hose is too firm and short and there's no slack. How do I remove it so I can fill using that hole? I've got an 04 EX-L, and my setup looks nothing like the video above or the pictures in the service manual. I heard this was some kind of factory retrofit on this model year but I can't find videos or instructions on how to remove this extra part.
In which case you should fill through the dipstick port. Slow but easier in your case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This was all a few days ago when I was changing fluid for the first time. I'm asking now so I can hopefully do it faster next time. I did end up using the dipstick hole, using a piece of aquarium airline tubing and a small funnel, but it took about 90 minutes to get the 3.5 quarts in there because it's so slow. This was the only clean, small size tubing and funnel I have at home right now, and can't get more until the quarantine restrictions are lifted when all of this is over. I've seen posts where some people mention removing this inlet jet fitting on 03-04 models, but others seem to have the same problem I do in that it doesn't come out easily. I guess I'll wait till I can find a better funnel and tube rig and keep using the dipstick hole.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the oiljet retrofit on my '04 fill bolt. I just reach down and pull it up just enough to move it to the side of the hole. It's a little stiff but maybe you need to tweak the hard tube or bracket a little the next time you change out the transmission filter. You really should go to parts store and get some hose if its that old and crusty.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Related question, if I've got the model with the ATF oil jet, do I also have an external, user-replaceable ATF filter? There's conflicting information about whether my 04 model might have a thread-on cartridge filter that is easy to get to, or if it's an internal thing that I can't change unless servicing the ATF during overhaul.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's external thread in. I normally use a Wix brand 58129.

Follow the jet pipe line. The end of the fill bolt jet pipe is t'eed into a a hard line that one end goes to the filter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had that exact filter in my RockAuto cart, I'll order it now. Does it come with the 12x2.4 o-ring too, or do I need to order that separately from Honda?
It has the oring face seal on it, the one under the male threads like an oil filter seals. If you want the oring than goes on the line and plugs into the filter get that from Honda PN shown above.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It has the oring face seal on it, the one under the male threads like an oil filter seals. If you want the oring than goes on the line and plugs into the filter get that from Honda PN shown above.
Thanks, I just ordered the o-ring too. I just bought my 04 Pilot a couple weeks ago and trying to catch up on all the little maintenance things the previous owner ignored. According to his service records, he last changed the filter 8 years ago and 80k miles ago. The ATF has never had a full swap, just partial drain-and-fill done every few years, so I'm going to do it a couple more times in the coming month and see how things go. I also replaced the 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensors since I got the blinking D light last week. I know the transmission is probably the weakest part of this old car, so I'd like to give it all the TLC I can to keep it going.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,187 Posts
Related question, if I've got the model with the ATF oil jet, do I also have an external, user-replaceable ATF filter? There's conflicting information about whether my 04 model might have a thread-on cartridge filter that is easy to get to, or if it's an internal thing that I can't change unless servicing the ATF during overhaul.
2003 and 2004 have the external screw-on filter.
2005 has filter in internal housing accessible without separating tranny from engine.
2006 through at least 2008 requires tranny to be separated from engine to access the filter.

·
Banned
173 Posts
YOU ARE BETTER OFF LEAVING THE OILJET RETROFIT KIT ALONE AND REFILL THROUGH THE DIPSTICK TUBE OR ANOTHER ACCESS HOLE ON THE TRANSMISSION.....

MY 2004 PILOT DOES NOT HAVE THE OILJET RETROFIT.....

AND FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE HAVING A HARD TIME REMOVING THE FILLER BOLT.....IT WILL ALWAYS BE VERY TIGHT.....IT JUST GETS TIGHT OVER THE 15,000 MILES BETWEEN FLUID CHANGES.....

IF YOU HAVE NOT REMOVED THIS BOLT BEFORE.....IT WILL FEEL FRIGHTENING HOW MUCH PRESSURE YOU HAVE TO PUT ON IT TO GET IT TO BREAK LOOSE.....

I USE A LONG 1/2 INCH EXTENSION.....AND A LONG HANDLED 1/2 INCH RACHET.....BRACE MY BODY.....PULL WITH A STEADY TENSION AND IT POPS LOOSE.....

·
Registered
3,050 Posts

Attachments

21 - 40 of 61 Posts