Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been numerous (approx 16,000) tranny failures on the MDX's and Odysseys, plus other Honda's Both the 4 speeds and the 5 speeds have some problems!! This represents about 1.6% of the total vehicles sold but DOES INCLUDE some of the earlier PILOTS and I'm not able to pinpoint how many that may include or what vehicle no.s it will be!! There is NO RECALL contemplated by Honda at this time but it is a DANGEROUS PROBLEM!!!! The 5 speeds have been known to shift down from 5th to 2nd gear, at freeway speeds!! This will cause engine rpms to increase to shutdown limits and possibly cause accidents, due to sharp decrease in speeds with NO BRAKE LIGHTS actuated!! Lets hear from anyone that has this problem now or in the future!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
[ Lets hear from anyone that has this problem now or in the future!! [/B][/QUOTE]

I believe we've already heard

·
Registered
389 Posts
I only have one problem........ the transmission shifts so smooth I can not tell if I'm on 3rd, 4th or 5th. :D

·
Registered
494 Posts
We just went over 1070 miles and still running smooth. :4:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tranny Shifting!!

I agree the shifts are very smooth when accelerating and maybe a little hesitation when shifting down!! I've towed 2000 lbs of boat and the shifts are still positive!! I wish they would have put in a lock for 4th gear, instead of letting it shift back and forth so much when climing! I go over Donner Pass quite often, from Sacramento to Lake Tahoe and I notice it does it a LOT!! (Can't be too healthy for a tranny to do this!!)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Bigfoot!

No offense to anyone here but this thread and its counter part is starting to become a bit of an urban legend. I have not seen or heard of it being an MDX or Pilot issue to date. Since these vehicles share the same under pinnings I would think the MDX would have had it by now. The closest they have gotten is the Ody and I'm not so sure that would be the same since it is a different vehicle and ride. My Pilot is 317 and I've run it pretty hard during its first 4500 miles with no issue. The closest problem it has is not want to be in the gear I want it in, but then I should have a 5spd!

So, so far no real transmission issue here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts