1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Not good at all...

·
Registered
154 Posts
wow, I wonder if the Pilot/MDX has the same tranny, since there is the output for the rear driveshaft. And if the case is that we do have the same trans I wonder when they put in the new parts, since in the link they said Honda fixed the problem a few months ago.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well two things still have me feeling ok here.

1. The Pilot is not directly or indirectly mentioned with it's vtn4 transmission setup.

2. The MDX is also not mentioned which shares the Pilot drivetrain. If it were an issue in the MDX I would have expected it to be listed by now.

Now the flip side. There is a 240hp Accord coming out that I may think twice about since that probably uses the same tranny as these 200+hp Acuras.

·
Registered
389 Posts
banningjr said:
Well two things still have me feeling ok here.

1. The Pilot is not directly or indirectly mentioned with it's vtn4 transmission setup.

2. The MDX is also not mentioned which shares the Pilot drivetrain. If it were an issue in the MDX I would have expected it to be listed by now.

Now the flip side. There is a 240hp Accord coming out that I may think twice about since that probably uses the same tranny as these 200+hp Acuras.
Feeling OK but.......they did mention the Odyssey, I know almost but not quite the same.

"Mike Spencer, a spokesman for Acura, Honda's sport-luxury division, confirmed that there has been a "higher than normal incidence" of problems with two Honda-built automatic transmissions. Although many involve high-performance models such as the 260-horsepower Acura Type-S, others afflict 200-horsepower V-6 Honda Accords and 240-horsepower Odyssey minivans not usually associated with racing and speeding abuses."

·
Registered
311 Posts
The article also says:

"The two transmissions are the five-speed used in V-6-equipped Acuras since the 2000 model year and in Honda Odysseys since the 2002 model year; and the four-speed automatic used in V-6 Honda Accords since 2000 and in 2000 and 2001 Odysseys"

Pilots have a five speed. It seems like it could be the same one unless the vtm system makes it different in some way. I hope they did really fix it a few months ago....

·
Registered
592 Posts
uh oh. That sounds pretty bad. I should perhaps search for this kind of thing on the acuramdx.org forums as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Acura CL's a Problem also

I have an Acura CL (2001) and frequent their bulliten board. I call tell you that CL owners are ticked as heck about the transmissions. Story after story about the screwed up transmission. Some have been replaced 3 times. I sure hope the Pilots tranny is not the same. Given it is 4 wheel drive, I doubt it.

www.acura-cl.com

·
Registered
481 Posts
check out this thread on acuramdx.org:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7180&highlight=transmission+failure

It pretty much explains the supposed tranny problem (looks like it is similar to that article linked above). The first post is written by someone who says he is an Acura mechanic, so it seems somewhat reliable.

I hope this is not the case. I have not owned one car where the tranny has not failed. All were American-made: a chevy, jeep, dodge.

I couldn't take the failures anymore and switched to owning two Hondas, because of their reliability. I'm still banking on it, but am a little more worried than I was before.

That being said, the tranny acts fine on my pilot and cr-v.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are quite a few threads on ACURA MDX.ORG Re: Transmission problems & replacements, e.g.

~ Transmission Replacement - by Rich K.
~ Pattern Failures I've observed - by TheRobSJ
~ Please ask your favorite Acura tech - by xcel
~ Poll: Good and Bad Transmission - by DaleB
~ Poll: Let's get some data on Transmission Problems - by MDX350

They've been running for a while now and sound really bad. Especially Rob (cert. auto mechanic who worked in Acura dealership)
sounded almost too ominous to be believable, we thought at the time. Well, we're sorry now that we doubted his veracity.
Question is whether or not Pilot has the same or (hopefully)improved transmission...

(It's best to run "Transmission Problems" through "Search" on AcuraMDX.org)

DesertRose

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Not too bad

Look at the poll.

Seems more people are talking about problems than having problems.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Having been on the X site from the beginning, I find the recent tranny "problems" threads, as they relate to the X (and by extension, the Pilot) to be alarmist and utter bull****.

There have been a handful -- let me repeat that -- a handful of bad trannies reported since the site was launched 5000+ members and almost 2 years ago.

IMNSHO, if tranny failures on MDXs were epidemic in proportion, we'd see WAY more posts/problems. Take a look at "the scrunch" or "peeling paint" over here, or the waterpump recall. Way more people reporting that. Furthermore, the CL/TL boards do have significant threads covering early-mileage and multiple tranny failures. Those are real. The MDX tranny defect is wholly unsubstantiated.

Here is a snippet from one of my posts over there, since I seem to be repeating myself:
I'm operating on the assumption that Rob does actually work as a tech at a dealer. I'm also assuming what he's telling us is accurate based on his experience.

That said, I still do not believe there are catastrophic and widespread issues with the MDX tranny. If there were, then WHY ARE WE NOT HEARING ABOUT IT HERE (aside from Rob's threads)? Why is that not reflected in NHTSA complaints? Why is that not reflected by CR? Why is that not reflected by JD Powers? Why is that not reflected in Edmunds discussion forums? All of the CL/TL tranny issues are reflected in those places! IMO if the MDX tranny issue were actually true, we'd know about it without Rob having to tell us. We've heard/known about every other MDX-related issue.

IMO Rob's dealer is replacing a disproprotionate number of trannies to what the rest of us are experiencing. Assuming, as we are, that the numbers are accurate.

Yes, Rob could be a great resource providing tech info and suggestions.

But IMO these few tranny-related threads are akin to yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre, to borrow a hackneyed phrase. And I have difficulty mustering much support for that, regardless of the motivation. We may as well be screaming that the friggin wheels fall off at random, or the car bursts into flames without notice.

At some point we need to balance free discussions and opinions with information that, in this case and again IMO, is misleading at best.
Here is a thread from Tim discussing the MDX tranny threads.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Amen to The Worm...People should not start freaking out until there is something to freak out about-

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't think people need to "freak out" over the transmission failures that have been reported. . .but it does warrant monitoring.

If people want to discuss potential issues, what's the harm in that?

A healthy skepticism helps to foster honesty. . .and for many, that's the appeal of boards like this one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For those of us new to the forum and considering a Honda, I find transmission problems like this distressing news. Perhaps Honda is not the vehicle to buy. I will have to reevaluate.

·
Registered
920 Posts
vinograd said:
For those of us new to the forum and considering a Honda, I find transmission problems like this distressing news. Perhaps Honda is not the vehicle to buy. I will have to reevaluate.
Dano,

I rest my case. People read this stuff and are immediately deterred by news like this. I agree with the above poster, if I had know all the stuff that has gone on with the Pilot, I would have opted for the Lexus RX330...

There are no perfect vehicles, but more attention should have been paid by Honda to some of the issues discussed on this thread.

I'm a little frustrated about news like this just like everyone else that dropped $30,000+ on the Pilot. My intention is not to offend anyone or deter them from their opinion…:8:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can't help but wonder

Boy, you sure can sense the strong feeling that The Worm has on this. Well done. It's a good idea not to freak. Although I noticed that Dano was in the water pump recall gang, so a little extra concern would be more than reasonable. Agreeing that it has not been a big problem with the MDX thus far, the question I wonder about is why there have been many TL/CL problems, but not many problems with other Hondas/Acuras that seem to (maybe) share the same tanny. It seems reasonable to put that out there. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
vinograd said:
Why miss out on a great SUV like the Pilot? Is a trans problem a big deal, you bet, is it a problem if 1.6 % of the cars have that problem, not sure? If it happens to me I will be upset, but the law of averages is on our side.

I do believe that we should post our concerns, problems and good points in forums such as these, but if we look at all manufactures and judge our purchases based on every bad thing we have heard we would be doing a lot of walking.
;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
This poll comes from Acura-CL.com. Acura-CL.com is for CL enthusiasts, not just a place to rag on about the vehicle. Given that the number of respondents is rather low, I'm sure this isn't representative of the population in general. Regardless, this tells me that several tranny's have failed and it may indeed be a problem. For the record, my answer was in the no problems category but I think that is about to change (too bad you can't change your poll answer). I noticed a whine yesterday, and really thought nothing of it. Today it was back. Guess time will tell. People have had CL tranny's fail in the first thousand miles. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't come across a post yet regarding the Pilot's tranny failing. I have 4,000 miles on mine and I am sure others have many more.

Has Your CLS Tranny Died? (See Category Descriptions Below)
You have already voted on this poll.
NO - No Problems Whatsoever 94 69.63%
YES - Heavy Abuse 0 0%
YES - Moderate Abuse 9 6.67%
YES - Spirited Driving / Extreme Conditions 8 5.93%
YES - Minor Abuse 9 6.67%
YES - Road Hazard 0 0%
YES - Got Me ?!?!?! 12 8.89%
YES - Other (Please Explain) 3 2.22%
Total: 135 votes 100%

1 - 20 of 44 Posts