Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home tonight and the outside temp is -6 deg F. First thing I noticed was irregular shifting like it was stuck in a lower gear. I tried to make it home, but it finally quit completely and the cabin smelled horribly of transmission fluid. I think one of the lines must have burst and ran it out of fluid. It was towed to the dealer to be looked at. It is 6 speed with the added transmission cooler. If it did run until out of fluid do you think it ruined the transmission?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
What did you see when you raised the hood?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I can only imagine how thick DW-1 ATF is at -6°F. If the transmission pumped out the fluid, you came to a stop and put it in park, it's likely ok. See what the dealership says. It's my opinion that you may want to go to a compatible full synthetic ATF.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I can only imagine how thick DW-1 ATF is at -6°F. If the transmission pumped out the fluid, you came to a stop and put it in park, it's likely ok. See what the dealership says. It's my opinion that you may want to go to a compatible full synthetic ATF.
It been below 0°F here for a few days recently and my transmission has been functioning well with Maxlife under those conditions. It does take a little longer to warm up and go into OD which is understandable.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was driving home tonight and the outside temp is -6 deg F. First thing I noticed was irregular shifting like it was stuck in a lower gear. I tried to make it home, but it finally quit completely and the cabin smelled horribly of transmission fluid. I think one of the lines must have burst and ran it out of fluid. It was towed to the dealer to be looked at. It is 6 speed with the added transmission cooler. If it did run until out of fluid do you think it ruined the transmission?
I had a flex line fail on an old GM transmission and lost a lot of fluid. Just repaired the leak, topped up the fluid and everything was fine. Nothing like the smell of tranny fluid on hot exhaust pipes though.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
It been below 0°F here for a few days recently and my transmission has been functioning well with Maxlife under those conditions. It does take a little longer to warm up and go into OD which is understandable.
Synthetic oils don't contain waxes like blends and conventional fluids do so they flow better at cold temps. I don't like wax in my ears or my oils.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had some hesitation problem, mainly from 2nd to 3rd when cold. Put 4 qt of maxlife in it . It took few days for it to do it's majic but it worked out well.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I had some hesitation problem, mainly from 2nd to 3rd when cold. Put 4 qt of maxlife in it . It took few days for it to do it's majic but it worked out well.
If the old fluid was really black, you will want to do another couple of drain/fills with Maxlife.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It was nice cherry color. I had done 3 drain/ refill 10k miles ago using Honda fluid. She has 173k on the Odo so it was time for the seals/Orings to get a treatment. After reading many posts here no one was unhappy with maxlife so I gave it a chance .

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Synthetic oils don't contain waxes like blends and conventional fluids do so they flow better at cold temps. I don't like wax in my ears or my oils.
Speaking of Cerumen (ear wax), That's an occasional problem I see in my patients. We flush it out with Synthetic ATF! J/K.

Wax on- Whacks off!
I know you're just dying to ask him what kind of tires he's on too LOL

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
6 speed Pilot is all we know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got it home from the dealership today. It’s a 2018 EX 41,000 miles. The cause was one of the spring clamps on a transmission hose had slipped off. They replaced the clamp, flushed the fluid 2 times and the fluid indicated no damage to the transmission. Driving it home, it shifted fine, no issues. I will keep a close eye on it as I have 9000 miles remaining on my powertrain warranty. On my way home I was on the same path where it came off. Judging by the trail of oil that I left it was coming out very quickly. I went about 1.5 miles before it completely stopped. I feel lucky that there was no serious damage.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
It was nice cherry color. I had done 3 drain/ refill 10k miles ago using Honda fluid. She has 173k on the Odo so it was time for the seals/Orings to get a treatment. After reading many posts here no one was unhappy with maxlife so I gave it a chance .
The more DW-1 that's removed, the better, no matter how fresh DW-1 is.
This is said from my own personal experience.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Honda or aftermarket tranny cooler? Who added it?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've installed a dozen plus after market coolers on various vehicles over the years......never had an issue with clamps, hoses or the coolers themselves. Only way I can see one of those spring clamps slipping off, is if it was not fully/properly installed. Hope to hear from the OP.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
Speaking of Cerumen (ear wax), That's an occasional problem I see in my patients. We flush it out with Synthetic ATF! J/K.

Wax on- Whacks off!

I know you're just dying to ask him what kind of tires he's on too LOL
Never came to mind.
¯\(ツ)

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've installed a dozen plus after market coolers on various vehicles over the years......never had an issue with clamps, hoses or the coolers themselves. Only way I can see one of those spring clamps slipping off, is if it was not fully/properly installed. Hope to hear from the OP.
It was the Honda transmission cooler, and all the parts were installed properly. I do think I will be changing to screw clamps.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It was the Honda transmission cooler, and all the parts were installed properly. I do think I will be changing to screw clamps.
Was it dealership installed????

I would strongly recommend if not using the spring clamps you use fuel injection clamps vs the typical worm gear clamp.

Attachments

Reactions: Highspeedbail
1 - 20 of 39 Posts