Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the transmission drain plug thread size?

I’m thinking of running a fumoto valve with a nipple. I may be wrong but it’s looking like the skid plate from no-lo may cover that area.

I do a drain and fill every oil change and that’s a lot of on/off on subframe bolts I’d rather avoid.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
187 Posts
Anyone know the transmission drain plug thread size?

I’m thinking of running a fumoto valve with a nipple. I may be wrong but it’s looking like the skid plate from no-lo may cover that area.

I do a drain and fill every oil change and that’s a lot of on/off on subframe bolts I’d rather avoid.
Fumoto is great for engine oil plug.

Issue with replacing transmission plug is that it will no longer have the magnet that plays an important role of atracting metallic particulate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fumoto is great for engine oil plug.

Issue with replacing transmission plug is that it will no longer have the magnet that plays an important role of atracting metallic particulate.
I knew someone would bring this up :p

I was planning on adding one of these closer to the radiator.

Raybestos Powertrain Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission / Power Steering Filter 3/8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065LZA94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XRP2K5JCSWNFTHFEZQ9D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know the specifics of the older model, but on my 2016 there wasn't room for any Fumoto valves. Hanging it off of a nipple made me nervous about something hanging it and breaking it off. I found two solutions: ValvoMax and Stahlbus. I have the ValvoMax on my 2016 Pilot and the Stahlbus on my 2018 Ridgeline. I like the Stahlbus better because it is more compact. The work similarly. Not sure if yours is the same M18x1.5 as mine are. I don't subscribe to the theory that the magnet on the drain plug is important for other than a diagnostic aid.

This is the Stahlbus...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhh I like that I’ve never seen those before, so basically when you screw in the hose adapter piece it opens up the valve?

I can’t find the thread pitch anywhere for the plug but looking at photos 1.5 would be a solid guess. I’ll probably order one and give it a shot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ohhh I like that I’ve never seen those before, so basically when you screw in the hose adapter piece it opens up the valve?

I can’t find the thread pitch anywhere for the plug but looking at photos 1.5 would be a solid guess. I’ll probably order one and give it a shot.
Yep. The ValvoMax has a screw-on hose connection. The Stahlbus has a push in and 1/4 turn hose connection. I tried two different Fumotos without success. In addition to my fear of breaking off a valve extended with a nipple, the other thing that makes it a non-starter is the odds of finding one that would work. The drain has straight threads, not tapered. It seals with a gasket ring, so even if you found an 18x1.5 nipple, it wouldn't seal on the straight threads of the transmission.

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
Best I could find for you from the Service Manual is torque specs, pretty much.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 EX 4WD
345 Posts
I'd rather give the bottom sediment a fighting chance to leave. Drain it hot while the sediment is suspended. I only use a dipstick extractor if I accidentally overfill it.
I do more frequent drain and fills than is necessary, at least once a year, sometimes twice. About every third or fourth D&F, I pull the drain plug (after extracting) to clean the magnet and retorque.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, actually the document you provided shows a 24mm x 1.5 drain bolt (torqued to 44 N-m).
The 24mm looks like the one at the top of the transmission for refill. I’m fairly confident it’s 18mm. Looking at the service manual linked above its 18x1.5. Just ordered the Stahlbus SB-210411-S-NA. I’ll report back when I receive it and go to install about fitment on the first gen trans.

Triangle Slope Font Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
No, actually the document you provided shows a 24mm x 1.5 drain bolt (torqued to 44 N-m).
"A" in the diagram is the transmission drain plug at 18 x 1.5 mm.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Success! Correct part number SB-210411-S-NA. M18x1.5. I really like this design. Thinking of putting one on the oil drain plug as well now. Hands down one of the nicest machined drain plugs I’ve ever seen. I can see why it’s so expensive.

I intentionally overfilled the ATF just so I could try the draining. Works just as it should!

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

1 - 16 of 16 Posts