Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that many people use the Tru-cool 4544 plate and fin transmission cooler on their Pilots and Odysseys. I was thinking instead of the LPD4544 to use a LPD4490. Both have the same BTU rating but the 4544 bigger (12 x 11 x 3/4 versus 9 1/2 x 11 x 3/4). Would the larger 4490 still fit in a 2007 Pilot? Is there any reason I should go with the smaller 4544?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Would the larger 4490 still fit in a 2007 Pilot? Is there any reason I should go with the smaller 4544?
IMO you can physically make the larger cooler fit but realize the space is shared by PS, A/C, Cooling, etc. Without statistical data on engine, trans temps at different conditions it’s hard to say whether one is better than the other or more cost-effective. Basically these are auxiliary trans coolers unless you are planning to bypass the OEM cooler. To use any trans cooler consider making some brackets to support the auxiliary trans cooler as I’m not a fan of the supplied plastic push-through ties.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The inlet hose size is a little different. The 4544 inlet is 3/8" and the 4490 is 11/32". Better flow with the 3/8". I would go with the 4544 - smaller and better flow. But that is just me.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I see that many people use the Tru-cool 4544 plate and fin transmission cooler on their Pilots and Odysseys. I was thinking instead of the LPD4544 to use a LPD4490. Both have the same BTU rating but the 4544 bigger (12 x 11 x 3/4 versus 9 1/2 x 11 x 3/4). Would the larger 4490 still fit in a 2007 Pilot? Is there any reason I should go with the smaller 4544?
I recently did a tranny cooler install on our G2 Ridgeline. Not the easiest thing I've done, but not too bad/difficult either. I would strongly recommend before buying a tranny cooler that you determine your tranny fluid temps 1st......thru the OBD-II port under the dash.

If you still want to do a cooler install, get your tape measure out and start doing some measuring. How much room is there between the backside of the grill and the front of the condenser? How much width space do you have? How much height do you have? I installed a Tru-Cool #49211 in our '17 Ridgeline about a month ago. Like they say, measure twice, maybe 3 times, and cut only once. The Tru-Cool cooler dimensions chart is spot-on. Made choosing which cooler I wanted pretty easy.

Attachments

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
I have the small OEM factory cooler. I've been monitoring my temps all summer and my highest reading was 187°F. (flat land, Texas)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have the small OEM factory cooler. I've been monitoring my temps all summer and my highest reading was 187°F. (flat land, Texas)
187F in-town slow/stop-n-go?......highway speeds?.....towing? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,410 Posts
Reactions: PLT383

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Towing?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I recently did a tranny cooler install on our G2 Ridgeline. Not the easiest thing I've done, but not too bad/difficult either. I would strongly recommend before buying a tranny cooler that you determine your tranny fluid temps 1st......thru the OBD-II port under the dash.

If you still want to do a cooler install, get your tape measure out and start doing some measuring. How much room is there between the backside of the grill and the front of the condenser? How much width space do you have? How much height do you have? I installed a Tru-Cool #49211 in our '17 Ridgeline about a month ago. Like they say, measure twice, maybe 3 times, and cut only once. The Tru-Cool cooler dimensions chart is spot-on. Made choosing which cooler I wanted pretty easy.
Great idea about reading the trans temp. I'll have to get out my OBD reader and Torque.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My driving is the opposite of Mr. Grease.....in-town 30-40 mph, stop-n-go. I despise drive-thru lines, but with this china virus, a drive-thru is the only way to get whatever. Slow speed driving equals limited air flow thru the grill. Seeing consistent 200F+ TFT in 100F+ ambient temps prompted me to go with a little larger (than OE) aftermarket tranny cooler.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 11 of 11 Posts